EXTENDED_SYS_STATE never changes once GUIDED takeoff is started

As title, I just upgraded to 4.10 stable and discovered a regression. EXTENDED_SYS_STATE no longer changes correctly.

I set my quadcopter to GUIDED mode and arm it. I see that landed_state in the EXTENDED_SYS_STATE message starts as MAV_LANDED_STATE_ON_GROUND as expected.

Now I command a takeoff and see the same field change to MAV_LANDED_STATE_TAKEOFF.

Unfortunately once the drone has taken off, this field never changes at all. It just stays as MAV_LANDED_STATE_TAKEOFF.

The field should change to MAV_LANDED_STATE_IN_AIR once the drone has completed the takeoff command.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I put a log here?

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes a log would help

1 Like

I just finished playing with this on 4.1 in SITLusing a typemask that ignores everything except position and then ignore everything but position & yaw rate.

I could not replicate this behavior. Could you also tell us the typemask you are are using? Along with providing logs of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

@amilcarlucas @hendjosh

Log can be found here with password as my username:

I definitely am seeing these log messages come in with the incorrect fields set. Or maybe the issue is for some reason my takeoff never completes?

For full clarity, I use MAV_CMD_SET_MESSAGE_INTERVAL to request the MAVLINK_MSG_ID_EXTENDED_SYS_STATE message once every 500ms.

I decode the incoming MAVLINK_MSG_ID_EXTENDED_SYS_STATE to the mavlink_extended_sys_state_t struct.

I then check the contents of landed_state regularly to check when takeoff has finished.

To perform takeoff, I do the usual arming procedure and guided mode stuff followed by sending MAV_CMD_NAV_TAKEOFF to a 10m altitude.

I have been using the same program to control my drone via Mavlink for some time which is why I found the issue to be a clear change in behaviour since the only changes I made (I hope) were the upgrade to Arducopter 4.10.

Hello,

Indeed it doesn’t change the state at the end of the takeoff command, that is due to a recent change in the takeoff sequence. I will see if we could correct this. Thanks for the report

1 Like

fixed in Copter: fix takeoff end report on EXTEND_STATE by khancyr · Pull Request #18910 · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub

2 Likes

Excellent news. Thanks for fixing this. I’m not sure how useful my log file was to you as I think I uploaded the wrong one. Here is the one I should have uploaded with password my username:

Is there an easy way to download the fixed version of Ardupilot instead of waiting for the next stable release? Thanks again.

No need for a log, that is simple to reproduce on SITL

1 Like

Sorry about that I didn’t read the bit about it not changing after takeoff completes. I just saw the bit that it could never change.

Glad @khancyr reads better than I do! :smiley:

1 Like

Did you find out of an easy way to download the fixed version without waiting for the next release? I need the same fix.

1 Like

No, I am just waiting. I have a software workaround for now.

It is already included in ArduCopter 4.1.1-rc1 available since last Monday already.

1 Like