Example Plugin for Low Latency Video NOT in the HUD

Hi Folks,

Gstreamer in Mission Planner is a great tool, but putting together a pipeline with the lowest latency is tedious work, and sometimes, it is almost impossible to go below 250ms.
I found an alternative player on the Windows platform, which has easy configuration and can be integrated into Mission Planner via a plugin, so there is no need to change the main code. Theoretically, it can reach latency as low as 130ms, but it depends on the codec/transport and the camera.

I’m sharing my POC code for use or to learn about plugin programming.

It’s called
“VideoPlugin - Mission Planner Plugin for displaying low latency video NOT in the HUD”
It displays a small resizable video window on the bottom left corner of the MainMap. You can double the size by double-clicking on the video. Or you can switch the video and the map by selecting the Switch Map/Video menu item from the right-click menu on the map.

You can find the code in the GitHub - EosBandi/VideoPlugin: Mission Planner Plugin for displaying low latency video NOT in the HUD repository. See Readme.md for build instructions.

Please note that this is a POC code, you have to tailor it for your needs or you can contact me for customizations.

3 Likes