European regulations

There will soon be European regulations which will require drones weighing more than 800 grams to be equipped with an electronic or digital signaling device on the 2400 to 2483.5 MHz band.

This device must communicate various information such as latitude, longitude, speed, altitude, etc. and must not be encrypted.

I wanted to know if to your knowledge, there were suppliers offering additional modules that comply with this European regulation?
I have seen that the company Uavionix offers systems, but I do not know one of them meets this regulations and from what I saw on their website, their products are expensive.

2 Likes

hello,

There would be some product from some ArduPilot partner and some open source alternative. For now, it is better to wait and see how it moves as it can always change at this point.

1 Like

The whole whizzbang can be implemented in a 4usd ESP module, so I don’t see any problem here.
but first you have to wait for local legalization since all member states have to do that, and there could be differences from country to country…

3 Likes

Thank you for your answers.

In France, the legislation is clear from a technical point of view on the electronic reporting device and will come into force on May 1, 2020.

Yea, France was the only EU country who lay down for DJI and put their DroneID into legalization without any doubt. :frowning:

Becarefull, France legislation isn’t the same as european one’s … so expect some changes !

France has been a pioneer in Europe with its aerial regulations for drones since 2012. There is a good chance that the European authorities will draw inspiration from them.

I really hope not… instead of blindly follow DJI lobbysts, a well thought secure and usable system should be implemented.