ESC not responding on RC channel via Pixhawk

Total noob here taking baby steps toward autonomous rover… thanks in advance for any insight provided.

Use case: skid steering rover / 4 motors, 2 ESC, channels 1&2

Transmitter: Flysky FS-16X Receiver: FS-16X

Pixhawk 6c with M10 GPS and PPM Encoder flashed from MP with rover V4.5.4 firmware. No other config done from MP. Just trying to get basic RC through Pixhawk at this point.

Tested config for RC steering direct to model using PWM to each ESC from receiver, all channels/motors work as expected…

When config is changed to put Pixhawk between receiver and model using PPM from I/0_PWM OUT port to PPM Encoder, only motors on Channel 1 ESC works. Channel 2 ESC is non-responsive to RC input.

I feel like I must be missing something simple, any pointers on what to check?

If you can connect Mission Planner, then under one of the Setup screens you can see in real time what is being output on each output channel, this might be a good way to know if the pixhawk isn’t outputting on the channels you expect (in which case you need to work through pixhawk params, arming, etc. etc.) or if it is, (in which case you need to look at your wiring, ESC config, etc.)

Thx Chris …

To be clear, I have FS-16X RC transmitter configged as Mode 2 with Ch1 and Ch2 mixed on a single stick.

As you suggested, with MP connected, in SETUP > Mandatory Hardware > Radio Calibration, I see activity as expected on RC1 and RC2 when I move my single steering stick so Pixhawk seems to be outputting correctly.

From Pixhawk I/O PWM OUT (MAIN) port I’m connected to PPM Encoder with CH1 and CH2 connected to ESC1 and ESC2. Only CH1/ESC1 is responsive. I can physically change ESC connections and either ESC responds only when connected to CH1, nothing happens on CH2.

I’ve swapped out the PPM Encoder and connector without changing the outcome. So I’m officially at the limit of my incompetence … for now

Setup / Radio Calibration shows the signals Ardurover/Pixhawk is receiving from the transmitter.

Setup / Servo Output shows the values Ardurover/Pixhawk is sending to the servos.

Look at Setup / Servo Output and see if you see the outputs which Ardurover/Pixhawk thinks it’s sending to the servos.

Chris … SUCCESS!

Your pointer to Setup / Servo Output got me to the neighborhood I needed, and a little digging into the doc led me to set the Function on Ch1 and Ch2 to RCPassThru. That did the trick, both ESCs now respond appropriately

Thanks for your help …

1 Like