"Encrypted 0.2" firmware for SiK HM-TRP

I noticed that the Japan Specified Radio Test Report for the Holybro SiK Telemetry Radio V3 mentions the following firmware version: “Encrypted 0.2 SiK 2.0 on HM-TRP” and I vaguely remember once seeing the same version on an mRobotics Telemetry Radio V2.

What exactly does the “Encrypted 0.2” refer to? Other than that I’ve only ever seen “SiK 2.0 on HM-TRP”, etc.
Searching for the exact string (Encrypted 0.2) regarding SiK yielded no results besides the mentioned test report.

I suspect that it might be regular firmware with local restrictions implemented but encrypted to prevent installation of regular or modified firmware that was not tested by japanese authorities.

It likely was intended to comply with local regulations.

Did you ever figure this out? I am attempting to clone a radio which has the same firmware, almost “Encrypted 0.1…” Thanks!

Unfortunately not, but please let me/us know if you find out more. It seems to be some modified version that adds encryption capabilities to Si1000 radios which don’t support AES with the standard SiK firmware.

@marv @Brad_Snelling So after a lot of digging around. This is AES back ported to the HM_TRP. AES was being added around when the 3dr v2 and above radios were taking over. HOLYBRO/mRO whoever else is making the 1060 boards can build this but I didn’t see a AES build option for HM_TRP. I haven’t gotten around to building it yet. GitHub - airodynsystems/RFD-Telemetry-Firmware: Tools and firmware for the Si1000 - Si102x/3x I am pretty sure this what we are looking for and if you are looking for this specific FW for the reason I think you are DM me. If you are looking just to AES you can build that for newer FW and HW you need to un comment out the AES stuff above your board in the make file and make sure in the board rules and deff also have the AES part comments out…pretty sure it is just on the make file. I haven’t done this yet. I was going to spin up a VM tonight or tomorrow for the 2.0 target HM_TRP.

Hey Ryan, I did not end up figuring this out in the way I expected, but a wonderful colleague helped me learn how to clone the radio I already have. My goal was just to have a spare in the event my primary radio died or usb connector got fowled.

Sounds good. I think I saw that you were heading that way on another post. Is there a reason why you didn’t just flash new FW on ground and air config and call it a day? Most people don’t need AES and unless you bought device with this specific FW as a semi lock down mechanism. This exact firmware I have seen once and since it is a custom name it likely came from the same section of the drone industry I found it. Hence my call out for a DM. But I am just curious because setting it up and forgetting the key used and what I just described are the only two reason I can think of needing this specific FW. Now you had the same issue but a different FW version.

With that all said if you do not have the key and it is some manufacture semi locked with the encryption key. The only way to still have the key used in the original is to dump the FW and flash it back to a new radio unit. So you went the only route that would have worked for your specific case. Still not sure how you ended up with a locked down radio on a custom AES fw. But that is just inquiring minds want to know type deal.