ELRS Airport RSSI & LQI?

I’ve been using a 900mhz elrs tx module and rx for telemetry with arducopter, and so far it’s working great. The only thing I’d like to see added is a way for mavlink telemetry to include the rssi and lqi of the airport system. I am imagining an onboard elrs rx that that somehow sends it’s rssi, lqi, etc to the fc via mavlink.

I know airport is fairly new, and it’s likely elrs devs haven’t even got around to these details, but I’m curious if this would be possible?

I have worked with sik radios before, and they get rssi into the stream. ELRS rx’s used for control links do the same. Seems not far a jump for an elrs rx in airport mode to join the gang.

Airport mode works as a transparent serial link. If you want to have radio status it has to be at least MavLink aware and insert appropriate MavLink messages into the stream.

1 Like

That’s what I figured. Since it’s up to the elrs devs to get this working, I posted a feature request on the elrs github for mavlink awareness and injection. Fingers crossed…

1 Like

Nice, I recently replaced my SIK Radio with ExpressLRS Airport. It seems to work perfectly fine except that I also miss RSSI. Has anyone heard any news about RSSI being implemented at the Airport?

Happy flying

Air port is transparent serial link it can’t inject MavLink frames. There should be a branch for MavLink rc link.

Hi.
Either I have misunderstood the concept or the ELRS Airport documentation is incorrect?

Documentation is correct MavLink passes though but since it isn’t doing any processing on the stream other than maybe waiting for serial transmision to stop for sending all the bytes at once it can’t inject IIRC RADIO_STATUS frames into the stream.

SiK, RFD and other “MavLink enabled” radios in MavLink mode inject appropriate frames into the stream to give relevant information to other components as can be seen using MavLink inspector.

1 Like