Dual tiltrotor "cheating" flight controler setup

I don’t think THR_MIN is applicable to a tiltrotor with vectored yaw, but the motors must be able to tilt backwards for vectored yaw to work. The purpose of weathervaning is to avoid hovering with a tailwind; instead the vehicle points into the wind and the motors tilt forward to compensate. This is much more stable than the alternative.

Thank you Mark!

I suppose I’m wondering if enabling Q_VFWD_GAIN on a tiltrotor will allow for backwards tilt angles in position/velocity control modes. For example, during a VTOL decent to land, the aircraft may need to compensate for some forward drift. During weathervaning, this would not be necessary as the motors would only need to tilt forward to combat headwind.

I really like the concept of maintaining level pitch throughout VTOL modes for a tiltrotor design. I may test this out in RealFlight SITL with the E-Flite Convergence model.

Function QuadPlane::forward_throttle_pct() constrains the forward velocity demand to be positive.
And the tiltrotor code uses that value (forward throttle demand in percent) to decide how to tilt the motors, so I think you’ll find that (unlike the stock E-Flite controller in the Convergence) the motors will never tilt backwards.