Dual-motor tailsitters

good luck with the test. Let us know how it goes.

Hey, is there an option of tailsitter that is controller like CoaxCopter? It is a delta wing with coax props in front that has rudder and elevator right after the propellers and elevons on the wing.
The most important difference with what we have now is that roll is controlled by differential throttle.

The roll cant be controlled by differential thrust of coax props (If someone disagree, please tell us) Apart from that, the code can handle a 3D plane so not very far (read first post from tridge).
According to my experience the difficulty in hover with non vectored tail sitter is pitch stability. While removing one motor its seems to me that you will get trouble also with yaw (plane frame). So, where is the interest ?
Do you know f3p ? Top pilots use coax props to lower motor torque effect. There might be no interest for your purpose but these small motors are so smartā€¦I cant resist to give this link (in french but pictures speak by themselves).
https://www.nij-e-barzh.fr/avion-indoor-construction/31-contra-rotatif

You misunderstood me :slight_smile:
I know F3P. Imagine my airplane as F3P one that also has elevons instead of
ailerons. Also, the motor is coaxial but instead of those smart gearboxes
it simply uses 2 BLDC motors with 2 ESCs requiring 2 throttle signals. Then
I can control roll - and I can also contribute it using flaperons, aileron
style.

How do you measure the frequency?

Is it at someplace at the logs?

Another servo and hinge assembly that will work for smaller builds.

https://www.foxtechfpv.com/15kg-large-torque-180-degree-digital-servo.html

1 Like

Caution, to reach an angle of 180Ā° with this servo you need PWM from 500 to 2500Ī¼s

Post #902 addressed a ā€œwork aroundā€. Are there 180 degree servos with dual output shafts operating within the default pwm range?

Do slomo video, replay and count cycles then recalc to real speed.

My ā€œfull 3d printed Tail Sittersā€, almost ready for final assembly, wingspan 130cm.
This is a prototype printed in PLA, the final version will be different and printed in ABS or ASA.
As we know automatic landing with Tail Sitters becomes critical in windy conditions.
I think my suggestion can be the solution to the problem:

Good flights!

Marco

1 Like

Hi Marco, This is what I do when I fly manually and what I program when using autopilot. It is however not the case with rthā€¦ having it automatic would be awesome and save many propellers ! :smile:
Ps: Iā€™m curious to see what you reach with 3d printing, other initiatives Iā€™ve seen were fails: too heavy or too weakā€¦ Compared to hot wire profile+fiberā€¦ What Ć®s your structure weight at the moment ? good luck ! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

At the moment the weight is 900g, but the final version it should not exceed 600g.
The advantage of 3d printing is resistance, it is really solid, and that changes can be made easily.
The possibility of being able to produce spare parts with little expense is a good thing.
As resistance it is payable to a composite structure.
Iā€™ve already brought these 3d printed frame to an extreme fligh, without the autopilot:

Marco,
Very nice project. I hope we will get soon update and a video.
According to my experience, I agree wind resistance is better when wind comes from the side. But the question of pitch and yaw control remain critical as the wing need a lot of authority to withstand gusts during the descent. I mean it is not easy to keep a constant yaw and surprisingly, during the descent the yaw is the most difficult axis to control. I had a crash some days ago when I tried to land my wing in around 15 knots of wind because the yaw axis was uncontrollable and in that case the wing drift with the wind until a tree cameā€¦ Now I have increased Q_A_RAT_YAW_P to the limit and this is better. From hardware point of view, large ailevons, vector thrust, low aspect ratio and high power to weight ratio have to be considered.
Attitude of the wing could be a primary source of information to get the wind direction.
regards,
pierre

1 Like

I agree, so during my tests I was really low with the descent speed, not over 30/40 cm/sec.
When this prototype will be able to carry out a completely automatic mission I will certainly publish a video that documents it.

Wingtra in windy conditions

Wow, this landing blows me away!! Total awesomeness.

Would be interesting to know if this one just got lucky or if its repeatable.
Would be cool to get that code in AP.

Wingtra works very well on transitions, they are very soft.
We hope to achieve the same performance in Ardupilot, higher would be the top! :slight_smile:
I donā€™t remember if they use a proprietary code or if it is PX4.

Hey guys, I am having a sort of ā€œflat spin Issueā€ with my Tailsitter in QStabilize mode.
Iā€™ve noticed it porpoises during forward flight too. I have tried moving around the CG and it is definitely in the nose heavy area, it gets worse when I move the CG back.
Also with a 5mph wind at my back it is very difficult to fly into the wind in Qstab mode, is there A way I can get more control authority?

Logs

Any help Would be Greatly appreciated.

Hi, the two things I see are 1 elevon motor tilt mismatch cut back on your elevon throw a lot and #2 cover your rudders as it needs some yaw stability even bigger rudders? I think you are very close to a nice airplaneā€¦ hope this helps

Thanks, but I am lost, what does this mean?