Dual-motor tailsitters

@lorbass @losawing

Thanks for the link

Of course the heart will be Arduplane firmware.

Cheers!

I have installed 4.1 DEV from Mission Planner (Ctrl + Q) for testing but I notice strange behavior loading parameters when connecting to Mission >>> it only takes 0.2 sec to load parameters

This is very strangeā€¦,

I think thereā€™s PX4 inside, i see QGC in the final part.

Does anyone know if you can fly a non-vectored tailsitter in Qstabilize and FBWA without a GPS and without a compass?

thanks,
Shef

@iampete @kd0aij
I begun to test the disk theory gain scaling on a non vectored dual motor tailsitter with max angle set to 80Ā° and airspeed enable. The calculation gave me a value of 10 for the disk load parameter. I had to lower this value to 2 to get rid of oscillations. Low speed stability, medium lean angles or transitions are not affected so the overall result is very good.

About the plane: wingspan is 86cm, 1Kg, 25cm propeller, larges control surfaces, CG set to 4% static margin. This may be not obvious on the video but the recovery from medium lean angle (lets say 45Ā°) require almost full elevon deflection which is very bad and I had expected a better result with this frame. Set the static margin to 0% improve things a lot but is not flyable in plane mode. I will try to implement a variable CG in the future.

This test was made with a freshly downloaded arduplane 4.1 firmware and I found a problem with tailsit_input, it seems to be broken, only copter style input is still working and the body frame roll is weird.

5 Likes

Congratulation. I have never seen a non vectored with such a lean performance in Hover Mode.

This is crazy! Looks better than wingtra! :sweat_smile:

Thanks for pointing this out. Iā€™ll try to find the cause of that problem.

I had some hopes this plane would hover like Wingtra but it is very far. In the range 30 to 60Ā° lean angle the pitch balance need almost full elevon deflection so no room left to stabilize body frame roll. Lets say the next one will be betterā€¦

Thanks

Wow ā€¦Pierre, you are the king of DMTS. :star_struck:

@IamPete commented about Q_TAILSIT_DISKLD, better results may be found a little higher or lower than calculated. but change it from 10 to 2 is a big change for it to work OKā€¦ :thinking:

Thanks, but this is a small kingdom.

I donā€™t know but the important point is oscillation reduction at high lean angle while keeping same stability.

Found the problem; PR here: https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/16841
builds for sitl and fmuv3 here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Xddn0ywvpFXy81XHB-H56HCfFDiS7GcN?usp=sharing

2 Likes

@kd0aij I tested the fix this evening, plane type input (set to 3) is OK and body frame roll allows to fly like a plane at high lean angle, thanks, the result is truly amazing.
@iampete, I made a short q_acro test and thanks to disk theory gain scaling I did not observe a single oscillation whatever speed or attitude, really impressive resultā€¦considering very larges flaps with 45Ā° throw. The flight is much more pleasant in q_acro than it is in FBWA.

2 Likes

Just a short clip of my Albabird TVBS conversion using two fpv cameras with scripting auto-switch when changing flight modes from fixed wing to VTOLā€¦the time delay is set at 2 seconds, but needs to be reduced a bit for this plane, it transitions quicklyā€¦havent started tuning it yet so a bit wobbly on initial move to VTOL stanceā€¦although I have 5 TVBS planes, every new one is a different tuning challengeā€¦our defaults are pretty poor for tailsitters in many casesā€¦unless its a copter tailsitterā€¦we really need to put together a tailsitter tuning guideā€¦one for vectored and one for nonā€¦
I tear my hair out tuning, and on tailsitters its actually dangerous compared to any other horizontal stance quadplaneā€¦I almost always damage a tailsitter model at least once trying to tune itā€¦
4 Likes

@losawing Thanks for testing.
Do you have an airspeed sensor on this plane?
We should consider eliminating my gain/speed scaling option (Q_TAILSIT_GSCMSK bit 1) if Peteā€™s new disk theory method is better in all respects.

Yes, airspeed sensor enable.
The att-throttle gain scaling gave very good results on the biwing and as far I remember there were some manageable oscillations only at low throttle and high speed (descending part of a loop for example). I had also some failed back transition on my non vectored batwing. I never tested it on a TVBS.
The disk theory is easy to tune, very effective to eliminate oscillations and seems to not reduce gain at low speed so yes it seems to be better.

1 Like

I would be glad to help but this is not easy : A Tailsitter (vectored or not) is difficult because it is a plane and as a plane it must be balanced and stable. Balanced means that the sum of moments must be 0 with the lowest control surfaces deflection (and from 0 to 90Ā° lean angle) and stable mean CG in front of neutral point. To my mind parameter tuning is only a second step. The most important one is to get a balanced frame. We should also think what ā€˜ā€˜flyingā€™ā€™ means when prop hanged.

prop hanging tilt vectored VTOLs are usually pendulum stable in pitch and rollā€¦the motors are always well ahead of CG (assuming slow vertical velocity up or down)ā€¦I almost never have an unstable hover in pitch or rollā€¦yaw is always a monster for me to get stableā€¦it has no inherent stability in that axisā€¦

they should be a way to easily inspect the PIQx reports and desire/actual axis angle and determine at least the direction one or more of the PIDs should be movedā€¦I just dont have the insight,I can look at tar/act PID and tell if the actual is over or under, but I really cant tell from the P/I/D what needs whatā€¦
for exampleā€¦that flight aboveā€¦yaw was horribleā€¦

the target pid and actual are way offā€¦but I havenā€™t a clue as to what to change

btwā€¦the horrible roll on takeoff was a glitch in my T16sā€¦it gave full roll when I did notā€¦a cable inside is loose I thinkā€¦have a request for a warranty repair in to Grayson, but they never respond

I agree, once you manage to give the pitch axis enough authority, yaw is always the problem. But are you able to say if it is a PID tuning issue or a frame limitation ? Do not underestimate the role of control surfaces, they are more effective than thrust vectored.
Competition between pitch and yaw is also a problem. If pitch balance already need full control surface deflection yaw cannot be stable (and vis versa).
I can not help with log analysis, I am quite bad at this game.

I fly normal planes converted to tvbsā€¦control surfaces have minimal impact, they are very small areasā€¦definitely not the rudder or elevatorā€¦way too far from prop wash and too tinyā€¦ailerons perhaps a tiny bit for body frame roll, but the vectored thrust is much more dominant I believeā€¦these could never fly as non-vectoredā€¦control surfaces way too smallā€¦