Drotek RM3100 Magnetometer

I have a Pixhawk 2.4.8 running FW4.15 and am trying to connect a Drotek RM3100 magnetometer to I2C port. Unfortunately it’s not showing up in the list of compasses. Anyone able to point me in the right direction as I believe it compatible with this version of FW. Thanks

Why “believe”? Update to latest Stable or Beta.

Why not upgrade?
I use Carp Pilot Pro to control my fishing bait boat over UDP which runs off the back of the sonars Wi-Fi.
For whatever reason FW v 4.2 & 4.3 has issues with using an ESP8285 for Mavlink 1 telemetry.
I use split screen on the tablet to display both the sonar and autopilot apps so I’m tied to this setup and FW.

For the firmware can you update firmware then set SERIAL1_PROTOCOL,1 or whichever serial port your telemetry is on.
Back around version 4.2 it was decided to make the default serial comms Mavlink2 (PROTOCOL,2) instead of Mavlink1 (PROTOCOL,1) since hardly anybody or hardly any devices use mavlink1 anymore.
Obviously there are still use cases for Mavlink 1, but it’s a simple parameter adjustment.
Once you’ve set this it wont change again with subsequent firmware upgrades.

For the Compass, check COMPASS_TYPEMASK that RM3100 is not disabled - this is a “disable” parameter, not “enable”. The default value should be OK, but just in case it got changed…
Failing that I’d even try BRD_BOOT_DELAY,3000 to see if that compass just needs a bit of time to boot up and work.

Wiring? Swapped the two I2C signal wires as a test?

1 Like

Thanks for info, I’ll give your suggestions a try