Drone shaking with RTK

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding a weird behaviour of our drone while using RTK. On altitude hold without any GPS data the drone is completly smooth in the air without any shaking. The second I enable loiter mode the drone starts shaking in front-back direction in approximatly 5hz, which is the update rate of the RTK system. The RTK information is loged separatly and after reviewing it I can definetly say, there is no problem with it. On a mission with constant speed there is the same distance between every logged position.

Therfor I think the problem is somhow on how strongly the drone tries to correct its position when receiving the new position from the RTK module and does some kind of “overcorrecting” which is resulting in the shaking behaviour. Is there some setting I can try to fix this?

I attached a Log (try to, upload fails all the time) of a flight in which I experienced the described behavior. The weird thing is, that this behaviour somtimes seems to vanish for a short time and suddenly starts again.

The drone is a rather big coaxial quadrocopter using the ArduCopter V4.1.5 Firmware and a camera system together with an rangesensor. All together somewhere between 15-20 kg.

Our RTK system is an simpleRTK2B from Ardusimple with their RTK correction service.

If you need more information or have any questions please let me know.

Kind regards

Moritz

You need to post a Link to a log stored on a cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc). They are too large for the forum as an attachment.

Update to ArduCopter 4.3.4 and tune the copter properly, it will stop shaking.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, mail was in my spam folder and didn´t notice till now.

Here is the log file: log_file

Update to ArduCopter 4.3.4 and tune the copter properly, it will stop shaking.

We will try this. Is this a known bug in the Software?
Weird thing is that we have a second drone with sam hardware and software and it flies perfectly.