Servers by jDrones

Driving two motor contollers with 3rd directional pins

(greenhall) #1

Hi,

I’m in the prototype build stage of a UGV tank style ag-robot. I’m using a Px4pilot ( Pixhawk Clone) for the controller and want to connect two Cytron md30c 30A motor controllers. rover documentation indicates that PWM signal is pushed through the RC1 & RC3 pins. The md30c has a three pin ( GND, PWM, DIR) setup. Does this correspond to the - + S from the RCOUTPUTS on a flight controller? I’m only familiar with PDBs on a multirotor UAV… not sure the proper wiring.

Cheers,
Russell

(rmackay9) #2

Hi Russell,

It’s not well documented but it should be possible to use this type of motor controller. The direction pin should be connected to the Pixhawk’s AUX5 and AUX6 channels (AUX5 for left, AUX6 for right) which are configured by default to be relays (there’s a page on the relay setup in the rover wiki’s optional hardware section).

The motor driver’s PWM input should be connected to the Pixhawks’s MAIN OUT 1 (for left motor) and MAIN OUT 3 (for right motor)'s “S” (aka signal) pins. The motor driver’s “GND” should be connected to one of the Pixhawk’s “-” pins… it doesn’t matter which but normally it makes sense to connect to the “-” pins above the “S” pins being used.

Then the MOT_PWM_TYPE needs to be set to “brushed with relay”.

(greenhall) #3

Thanks! Exactly the information I needed confirmed. Wish us happy rollin’