Drifting in Position Hold mode

Hello All,

I’m fairly new to quad flying, so please be easy on the criticism.

I finally completed my 3Dr quad copter kit and conducted its maiden flight over the weekend. Other than some initial difficulties calibrating the compass, things seemed to have gone pretty well. I initially left it in Stabilize mode and got used to hovering and moving it about. I then tried to put it in Position Hold mode expecting it to stay in one place, but it does not. It tends to drift off in one direction and I am forced to make a correction to prevent it from wandering off.

I’ve done some searching and have found a few posts on several sites referring to a similar problem, but haven’t found much of a definitive answer.

Some posts mention some tuning, while others say recommend trim adjustment.

What is the best place to start diagnosing this issue?

My setup is : 3Dr quad kit, 880Kv motors, Pixhawk, and I was using Tower on my Nexus 7 instead of Mission Planner.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Thank you,
-Brett

Don’t use the trim, if there is any wind it will move slightly and then get itself back. Have you performed an autotune? How are the vibrations?

Gary,

Thank you for the response and suggestions.

I kinda figured using the trim wasn’t the correct answer and probably not the correct way to solve the problem. As per your suggestion, I performed an autotune, but it doesn’t seem to have corrected the problem (Hopefully I did it correctly). I also figured out how to get at the vibration data and it seems to look alright to me, but this is also the first time I have ever looked at it. I have uploaded the graph that was generated.

Any other suggestions are most appreciated.

Thank you very much.
-Brett

OK, after re-reading the instructions for the autotune process it seems I did indeed do the process incorrectly. I will redo the process in the next day or so, and report back.

Thanks again for the help.

Cool, tell us how it went