Downloading Dataflash logs doesn't work in with copter 4.0.5

when i click the button “download dataflash log via mavlink” i get this error message:

Getting list of log files…
Error:System.TimeoutException: Timeout on read - GetLogEntry
at MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface.d__257.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
bei MissionPlanner.Utilities.Extensions.<>c__DisplayClass1_01.<<AwaitSync>b__0>d.MoveNext() at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MissionPlanner.Utilities.Extensions.AwaitSync[T](Task1 infunc)
at MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface.GetLogList()
at MissionPlanner.Log.LogDownloadMavLink.b__12_0()

I’ve had similar errors in 4.0.4, but it was trying to download a rather large logfile over telemetry radio - is that your case as well? If so, try it over USB, that fixed it for me. I’m curious about this though as it would impact efficiency of log analysis while doing tuning procedures…

Update mission Planner and use a USB cable

1 Like

It’s not about large logfiles. The error occurs right at the beginning, “getting list of log files”, so no download is startet yet.
Maybe it works via USB, but that’s a poor solution, isn’t it ?

@ amilcarlucas:
if i click on “check for updates”, a message “no update available” shows up,so i think i’m using the latest verson.

Depends, if you fly for 2 minutes, it might take 12 minutes to download the log file via telemetry. Sorry but for DF download I use a USB cable.

1 Like

It’s the only practical solution unless you can easily remove the Sd Card (assuming it has one). ESP8266 WiFi radios will work but also very slow.

1 Like

I have experienced a huge difference between the time it takes to download a log over the telemetry link vs. a direct USB connection.

Hardly surprising considering the capabilities of the two methods.

I get the same error trying to download logs in MissionPlanner with USB cable, more often than not. In fact I cant remember when it last worked :cry:
I’ve been using mavftp, and sometimes that doesnt even work, or pulling the SDcard.

MissionPlanner 1.3.7681.3761 and Arducopter 4.0.5

Getting list of log files...
   at MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface.<GetLogEntry>d__257.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at MissionPlanner.Utilities.Extensions.<>c__DisplayClass1_0`1.<<AwaitSync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at MissionPlanner.Utilities.Extensions.AwaitSync[T](Task`1 infunc)
   at MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface.GetLogList()
   at MissionPlanner.Log.LogDownloadMavLink.<LoadLogList>b__12_0()

UPDATE: copied logs from a suspect SDcard onto an old known-good SDcard -> same problem
It appears to be the size of the logs or something like that, because logs of old flights work ok for listing and downloading. New logs even from short flights wont list and wont download, even mavftp will sometimes not download and complete the CRC process.
I’ve tried cables, formatting, different SD cards, different flight controllers, Win10, Linux, QGC…

@rmackay9 Hi Randy, who best to address this with?

For testing, if I load latest Rover onto an old Pixhawk 1 log downloads work OK. I flash Copter (now 4.0.6) with default params and basic accel and compas cal, and I’m back to:

Getting list of log files…

Same SDcard…
At the moment the only workable solution for getting the copter logs is to eject the SD card and plug it into a computer and copy the files directly. This will surely lead to lost/broken SD cards and SDcard sockets.
As mentioned previously I seem to have the same issue on Linux/QGC, so I think it’s not a MissionPlanner problem.

UPDATE
Checked pixhawks and CUAV Nano v5
Same SD card, same log files
Win10/MissionPlanner (latest stable and also BETA updates)
Linux/QGC

Plane = cant get a list of logs and cant download
Copter = cant get a list of logs and cant download
Rover = instantly lists logs, downloads as expected

Added text to Github Issue https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/13418

Mission planners error indicates it’s not getting a response to the request. Most likely memory related in the ap fw

Just FYI, the issue you have linked is not related to this issue. The issue is regarding DF logging sent over mavlink. Not DF log download over mavlink

Ah Ok, I understand now - thanks. I might need to open a new issue then.

I tried a few Copter firmware versions:

GOOD can list and download dataflash logs
Pixhawk1-1M 00270031 3133470C 36393133
ChibiOS: 1ed2b2e9
ArduCopter V4.0.0 (4969354)

ChibiOS: cb42c858
ArduCopter V4.0.1 (61f191d)

BAD can’t list or download dataflash logs
ChibiOS: cb42c858
ArduCopter V4.0.2 (aae944a)

It seems the problem is introduced between Copter 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. Plane is affected too but I havent tried all the different firmware versions.

More tests:
Numbering of the log files affects this.

If I have logs named:
then listing logs and downloads work OK.

If log names dont start from 00000001
then listing and download is broken from Copter 4.0.2 onwards

This is the closest PR I can find that might relate to this:

@xfacta there was a large follow-up PR in 4.1 that resolved this but that didn’t get merged into 4.0 because of its complexity

I added this to the list of 4.0 known issues.

Thanks Andy.
I’ve put our logs back on the SD Cards so everything works OK when the logs start from 00000001
I usually take them off after some time, or after we’ve made and tested changes, just leaving the last few logs in place.

same here, plane 4.0.8. MP latest beta, connection via USB to my CUAV Nora. Worse, the numbering trick does not work either. i cleared out the logs with modified names, etc, so that there are only the first three default numbered files on the SD card. No joy, MP can’t find any log. I used USB connection to retrieve logs for a while with older versions and now it’s down to SD card only.