Does Pixhawk require ESC return ground signal?

When I thought my pixhawk was bad because of the SD card issue 3DR wanted me to deal with the company that I bought it from as well, in england, that is a terrible practice, you are going to replace the unit either way, why make a middle man be involved!

Obviously there is a serious problem! my first flight with pixhawk that ended with a crash. after verification I also have the problem of syncronisation esc.
Here is the video of my first flight

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1tHe1fhI5w[/youtube]

after a sudden acceleration of a motor is desynchronized and I crashed

youtube.com/watch?list=UUJc … DoyekQk0jk

my configuration:
esc afro 30a
motor sunnysky x4010s 580kv
prop 15x5.5 dji style

I said that the ground wire was still connected to the pixhawk. I cancel service only the red wire (+)

Any news regarding the issue? My new ESCs will arrive this week, but if 3DR confirmed it was a hardware issue, I must return my Pixhawk too.
Regards
Gregor

Any news regarding the issue? My new ESCs will arrive this week, but if 3DR confirmed it was a hardware issue, I must return my Pixhawk too.
Regards
Gregor[/quote]

Just received it today, it did not fix the issue, see :http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/pixhawk-causing-motor-sync-issues?id=705844%3ATopic%3A1588339&page=3#comments

I looked through your posts but did not see anything where you are describing your issue with the Pixhawk/sync issue. Are you having the same problem?

Well, I found a possible solution to change the RC_SPEED parameter from 490 to 100. This resolved my issue and I was able to have a successful 15-20 minute flight and autotune today. Also with the quad strapped down I was not able to recreate the sync issue problem I had before with this parameter set at 490.

I’m not sure what effects this has on the performance of the quad and am hoping for some answers on that on my thread on DIYDrones eventually. But for now, after months of frustration and crashes, I think in the next few days I’ll finally get to fly FPV for the first time.

If you’ve had the chance to test, did you see any impact on performance?

It didn’t fix the problem, see my latest post on diy drones

Hello
Lorenz and Jeff and I finally had some time to work through this and I need to post Lorenz’s comment from the drone-discuss list.

Hi all,

I have seen quite some cargo cult (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_science) when it comes to interfacing PWM based motor controllers.

I feel I can contribute by helping people to focus on the right aspects during troubleshooting. After having tried all ESCs reported as “not working” myself successfully, I did a little write up to be referenced in the future. It tries to be a helpful troubleshooting resource but also serve as reference. Note that you can register yourself on the page and edit it if you feel parts of it need updating.

pixhawk.org/users/esc_motor_controllers

The executive summary of this is:

1. Pixhawk works with every ESC out there that works with a normal RC receiver. Really. Because it sends the same type of signal.

2. The flight stack has to ensure that initialisation requirements for the ESC are met. The two most popular: 1) requiring a low pulse, e.g. 900 us or 2) timing out after a few seconds without signal. The native stack eliminates both by sending a 900 us pulse at boot and raises this to about 1100/1200 when armed. It does this only for multicopters.

3. People need to get their wiring right. Always connect signal and ground. Check your ESC type to decide how to connect the +5V line. Pixhawk will never mind how you connect it, but your ESCs might kill each other if wired incorrectly.

Basically you can get away with using the power ground as the signal return with the APM but you cannot do that with the Pixhawk. You must connect both the signal and the signal ground in order to make the ESC work, otherwise the PWM signal looks like this.

Displaying PWM_LineGlitch.png

Video Here.
diydrones.com/forum/topics/pixha … %3A1627206

Finally, here the test Pixhawk / esc’s Afro30a simply with ground connected.
The sync problems are solved.
Firmware 3.1.4 rc1 - RC_SPEED: 490 (default)

vimeo.com/95286426

Ciao - Giuseppe