Do you hate UAV parts Manufacturers not following Electronic standards?

Is just me or everyone else also go crazy at all the UAV device manufacturers that just don’t follow simple rules?

1. Holybro NEO-M8N GPS. No manual on their web site. Now how do you determine which pin is;

FC 5v – GPS 5v
FC TX – GPS RX
FC RX – GPS TX
FC SCL – GPS SCL
FC SDA – GPS SDA
FC GND – GPS GND

Update: Ok I finally found one on Holybro web site.

1. Analog Air Speed sensor, no power LED lights. Are we just trying to save the cost of one LED and one resistor?
  2. 80% products manuals are written by someone who can barely rite English. Thanks to Google translation, at least we get something to bang our head against with.
  3. ESC’s can have a power LED and PWM blue LED. It will make life so easy when troubleshooting.
  4. Ardupilot Main out and AUX pin can have LEDs showing power is getting there.
  5. How about just putting Model Number on the products :slight_smile: That would be a huge jump…lol

Am I just being over sensitive due to COVID-19? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good day, i agree with you holybro dont give any info in more about their hardware.
I’ve found mrobotics.io…its a good and reliable company. You can find in their website the specs of the hardware and in case you need more info about the setup and configuration you have also a real time live chat…they are prepared.

1 Like

You are definitely over sensitive. And most of the Chinese manufacturers are crap as well.

I guess you can open up your gps and take a look on the connector (or take out a multimeter and check for gnd) in the same amount of time that you spent on the google to find out information.

Power led on a sensor board, I don’t see a reason for that, it’s inside the fuselage and you cannot see it anyway. If you manufacture thousands of the same board, the cost of one resistor and one led is significant, not mentioning the time and price of placement.

Ps. This is just for my two cents…

Well, 90% products are made in China now so that is no excuse. I blame the design Engineers who are mostly not in China but here and in other countries. The quality control of design, documentation, accessibility used to have standards such as IEEE, ISO9000, ISO 9001 etc. No one follows them anymore, well i would not say no one but in UAV industry its all about cost cutting.

As a good electronics design engineer, one must consider the ease of use of any product and simplify troubleshooting.

Yes, the cost of one LED and one resistor might be an additional $5 cents, but as consumer I will pay that price.

The PCB setup cost is pretty much fixed. (I just had an 8 layer board done of our Goggles). The additional component cost will increase the price slightly buts its all worth it.

Status LEDS comes handy when you are actually doing bench testings. Inside the plane who cares and I agree.

Any communication device I think should have a power LED, communication status LED indicator and most importantly properly written documentation which is the main culprit.

Above are my two pesos :slight_smile:

Yep a led makes it easier to find your modules on a messy bench top :rofl::rofl:

ppoirier

lol appreciate the sarcasm :slight_smile: Yeah that’s another advantage…oops are they even plugged in?

Dave84

yes, mrrobotics is good company. I buy things from them all the time.

No, you’re not oversensitive because of Covid19. I fully agree with you. It shouldn’t be necessary to open the GPS device, and sorry, but not everyone knows how to use a multimeter to check for ground.

I also fully agree with you on putting a simple led. The cost is just a few cents, and pick and place is fully automated, so hardly any increase in price.

These days, it’s profits before responsibilities. Who cares about a proper manual, a logical definition of signals, just put it together and throw it on the market.

And yes, I also hate the Chinglish, crappy translations and sometimes not even being translated at all. If they don’t take the effort and time to do a proper (at least) English manual, why sell it on the international market.

It just doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Verloop

Thanks, I thought I am the only crazy out there.

1. ESC’s can have a power LED and PWM blue LED. It will make life so easy when troubleshooting.
  2. Ardupilot Main out and AUX pin can have LEDs showing power is getting there.
  3. How about just putting Model Number on the products :slight_smile: That would be a huge jump…lol

Well, we can’t just blame overseas manufacturers. We took our manufacturing overseas which is ok to reduce cost, but we could have done a better job.

We invited UAV industry professionals who are from English speaking country to write manual instructions for HolyBro products.
You can download the manual books for most of HolyBro products here:
https://shop.holybro.com/art/download_a0046.html
All of them are well written in English with detailed instructions.
Please take a close look at the Kakute manual book, a lot of people wrote to us saying it is one of the best for those beginners!!
Maybe our manual books are not 100% perfect but we don’t think the one you have mentioned here is from HolyBro. Where did you get this instruction, please?
Thanks!

mogu actually you or someone from your company and I have been exchanging emails for the past one month about DJI and Beta Flight using Kakute F7 HD FC. Your support is satisfactory so far but it is bit tricky to get all The answers in one shot.

This info was emailed to me and does work;

FC 5v – GPS 5v
FC TX – GPS RX
FC RX – GPS TX
FC SCL – GPS SCL
FC SDA – GPS SDA
FC GND – GPS GND

But MUST use UART 3 or above.

I still don’t know if Kakutie FC F7 HDV will provide full Telemetry data as designed inside Beta Flight OSD section or not? So far its only displaying minimum Telemetry data not full telemetry as Beta flight support OSD allows you.

The question is not about english speaking people. Even english speaking people don’t know how to write technical manuals.

In a good Engineering school, a person is supposed to take a 1 to 4 year course which is about Technical writing. Technical writing is an art not a science.

Next time hire a technical writer. Technical writers spend their life time Mastering Technical writing skills and you will be surprised to see your product sales will jump up by 20%

One suggestion when you select your distributors force them to post product manuals. They advertise your products but no links to product manuals.

p.s. I like the fact you participating here. Other manufacturers you can just wait for weeks to even get an answer so keep up the good support.

moguYour Kakute F7 HDV manual has no information about OSD setup. Doesnt tell you what information will get passed on and will be displayed inside the DJI goggles.

It doesn’t poperly explains how to connect a GPS and what UART to use what parameter to enable inside the Betaflight.

I finally figured out all the wiring and parameter setting issues but still this is what I see inside the goggles.

moguAnd as return fav (because you guys sent me replacement board free of cost) i will put an instructional video once I am done.

From my point of view you aren’t differentiating between hardware and software. The connection of the GPS isn’t the matter of the hardware manufacturer, since this can be set in the software. What kind of data gets displayed in the OSD is in the matter of BetaFlight.

The documentation from Holybro is concerned with voltage levels, pinouts, inverted serial ports etc. And there they do an excellent job.

In my eyes mist of your critics are a lack of documentation from BetaFlight, not the hardware manufacturer.

Vabe - Interesting point of views and the entire Holybro manual talks about Beta flight over 3 pages…very funny :slight_smile:

I am not interested in finger pointing games as you are making it now.

If the product is Beta flight compatible then cover all aspects of it or just call it flight controller and remove all references to Betaflight and then it becomes an easy decision not to buy it. Period.

One cant use Betaflight compatible and DJI compatible “marketing slogans” to peggy back off other brands to promote a new brand. The responsibility lies to both parties if they have decided to partner up. This is how things work in the industry.

Beta flight is free!!! and works off donations, on the other hand FC’s you pay a premium, ethically who has the most burden now? Did I just finger pointed :wink: lol I know, I am simply trying to promote team work.

And here is the ball got passed on to DJI by Holybro about not having full telemetry and OSD support.

Holybro email response…

"BF has given all the data to DJI device, it is the DJi device that decides how and what the OSD would show.

Please check the DJI manual book and contact DJI aftersale service. This is a DJI digital OSD whose performance has nothing to do with the OSD configuration in BF."

So the only thing Holybro FC accomplished is to provided ribbon cable to connect with DJI FPV system :slight_smile: Ok I am trying hard not to laugh.

I love marketing, “Holybro Kakute F7 HDV is designed to work with the DJI FPV VTx module. The GH port available on the board makes it much more convenient for you to connect Holybro Kakute F7 HDV to the DJI FPV VTx, for both signal and power supply.”

maybe I need to learn electronics all over again. The telemetry data comes out of FC and the firmware provided by beta flight will support it and DJI will display it. What am I missing?

My Email to DJI today…lets see what happens…

I purchased DJI FPV Goggle system along with two transmitters. I am using your system with HolyBro Kakute F7 HDV flight controller. http://www.holybro.com/product/kakutef7-hdv/

Everything works fine, however the Betaflight OSD (Full telemetry data) is not being displayed inside the Goggles. Why is that? See enclosed picture. This is all you get which is useless. Why are you advertising your product as beta flight FC compatible?

I contacted Holy bro and there response is, "“BF has given all the data to DJI device, it is the DJi device that decides how and what the OSD would show. Please check the DJI manual book and contact DJI after sale service. This is a DJI digital OSD whose performance has nothing to do with the OSD configuration in BF.”

The whole idea behind spending over $2000 dollars was to get a complete OSD (full telemetry) flying experience. This is a total waste of money so far.

When Can you fix this problem?

Asim