Do flight modes overrule one another?

My scenario is as follows: I have one three position switch set up to select from flight modes Stabilize, Alt Hold, and Loiter. I want to set Auto and RTL on channels 7 and 8 respectively. If I invoke RTL on channel 8 will it override whatever other selections are made on the other switches/channels when it is activated? including Auto should that be activated on channel 7? Or, will I need to turn Auto off on channel 7 before RTL will be invoked on channel 8?

I could create a six position mix on my 9303, but should there be an issue while flying it would be great to just hit the “Red” switch, as it were, and have my craft return home without fiddling or worrying about being in the wrong switch position, mode, etc.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice holiday season.

OK, well I did some lab testing with the Mission Planner, and it would appear that whenever RTL is invoked on Channel 8 (in my case) it will override everything else, auto, loiter, etc. However, if you are in RTL and invoke Auto, it will change the mode to Auto and start the mission. To re-invoke RTL it is necessary to toggle it off then on again, basically resetting the command. Same holds true for Auto mode… so the switches are basically ignored until they are invoked again.

So it would be important, therefor, to not flick any switches after RTL is turned on, if the point of using it is to get out of trouble and get the craft back.

Should I have made some error in my thinking here, please don’t hesitate to let me know (as I am sure you won’t).