DIY Radio Controller

Hi All,

I have intention to design my own Radio Controller system. I was thinking to use WIFI connection from Raspberry Pi Pico. The system should look like this:

(Flight controller) <–serial port–> (Pi Pico W) <----WIFI----> (Pi Pico W) <—> analog sticks and buttons

I am happy with the range of WIFI from my Pico.

could someone guide me from where shall I start to adapt the Ardupilot for my needs?

Note: I know how to work with my Pi Pico and manage the WIFI connection.

Why not just output one of the supported RC protocols from the PI instead of modifying Ardupilot?

It is a valid point.

do you know any easy serial protocol that I can implement on my Pico ?

You could use any protocol implemented here: https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/tree/master/libraries/AP_RCProtocol

Serial protocols are best: SBUS and DSM are very common, but it looks like CRSF is better since it has a CRC.

1 Like

Thx for the hints.
I was thinking to have telemetry for my sensors so I have to avoid SBUS.

I understood that Mavlink can be the best option as a protocol.

Correct me if I am wrong, I can have Mavlink protocol over serial interfac. right?

MAVLink can certainly be used on a serial link.
But “Radio Control” is not the same thing.
Here’s a wiki page on mavlink: MAVLink Basics — Dev documentation
I haven’t tried it, but I believe it is possible to configure a vehicle to operate with just a GCS and no RC system.

If you’re writing a MavLink controller, you may as well just use Mission Planner to control your craft. Mark is right - you can use GCS only control (though usually not recommended, especially if you are tuning a new vehicle).

Why are you set on this Pi Pico architecture? It seems like a fair amount of work that needs not to be done. $300 gets you an out of the box solution with graphical telemetry that will outperform (by orders of magnitude) anything you can do with a Pi and game controller or similar.

1 Like

you need to give us more information about what your trying to do, without knowing your goal with it its hard to give proper advice.

I am planning to build a remote controller for my drone.
Something like this : https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YbTSe00zk80/maxresdefault.jpg

I was thinking to add a 4 inch screen to plot the IMU telemetry measurements.

I have money to buy a controller but I prefer building things myself.

The answers you’re seeking are available via Google search. From my perspective, and I don’t mean to be too harsh, this type of project really doesn’t move ArduPilot forward in any meaningful way. Perhaps you’d be better served asking for support from a Pi or Arduino forum.

Seems you have to read my initial post.

My question was related to interface with Ardupilot for command Control.

I got my answer from a colleague. He moved my eyes to SBUS , IBUS …

Now I want to extend the project to get telemetry as well and seems Mavlink shall be the solution.

I didn’t ask for support in any specific topic related to Raspberriy Pi.

Multiple libraries are available for microcontrollers and RC/telemetry protocols. MavLink is almost certainly not the answer. CRSF or ELRS might be. None of that is ArduPilot specific. Good luck. I’m out.

1 Like

regarding this part : “But “Radio Control” is not the same thing.”

I would appreciate if you can elaborate more on this sentence?

I checked the command for MAV link and I could see that they have Manual Control command

A radio control link typically provides commands at a rate of 50Hz or better, from a dedicated transmitter and using a highly reliable RF link. I don’t know whether mavlink functionality is capable of duplicating that, or whether it was ever intended to do so.