Disarm not possible with default settings - why? (ARMING_RUDDER = 1)

WhenI understood everything correctly, disarming by rudder left and throttle zero is not possible with default parameters. I think it is not a good solution because dataflash logs are not stored when the battery is unplugged while the plane is still armed.

Isn’t there a safety function that let the plane only disarm by rudder left when throttle is 0 and the airplane has landed? When so, why is this function disabled by default?

I think by default it should be set that there must be a switch to disarm (like on Betaflight) or the algorithm check if the plane is still flying and let it only disarm when not flying anymore (like at DJI copters). Or maybe also add a longer delay than only 2 seconds.

Can somebody explain why this was changed? A few years ago disarming by rudder was still possible by default settings when I remember correctly.
Thank you.

From ardupilot wiki:

This is done holding throttle at minimum and rudder to the left for 2 seconds. In ArduPlane this condition could be accidentally triggered by pilots while flying so there are additional requirements prior to disarm:

• You need to allow rudder disarming by changing ARMING_RUDDER parameter to 2 (ArmOrDisarm) or use the ARM/DISARM switch function provided by setting an RC channel’s RCx_OPTION to 153.
  • The autopilot needs to make sure that you are not actually flying. There is an algorithm for this that uses the airspeed sensor readings. So you need this source available and giving values lower enough (in a windy day you might not be able to disarm even landed if the plane thinks you are still flying)

You answered your own question by quoting the wiki section that provides the rationale.

1 Like

I think I don’t understand the logic of the algorithm because of the following sentence

The autopilot needs to make sure that you are not actually flying.

Does this sentence apply only to planes with airspeed sensors like explained in the sentence after?

There is an algorithm for this that uses the airspeed sensor readings
Or to all planes, also without airspeed sensor?

If the algorithm only applies to planes with airspeed sensor, why does it not work for planes without airspeed sensors?

If the algorithm works for all planes, I don’t see a reason to deactiivate rudder disarming for planes by default.

“In ArduPlane this condition could be accidentally triggered by pilots while flying so there are additional requirements prior to disarm”

Okay. So where can I find information about the algorithm that uses the airspeed sensor readings to avoid disarming in the air? Would like to know how it works and when it becomes effective.

In source code. Likely in code setting the landed flag.

1 Like