Difficulties with F405 and ELRS receiver communicating in Mission Planner

Gidday everyone,

I’m at a wits end over this problem but to summarise, I have a Diatone Mamba F405 Mk4 Mini connected, over UART 1 (serial 1), to a BetaFPV Nano ELRS Receiver. In Betaflight, all is good, receiver tab shows relevant changes in sliders as I move the sticks which is helpful to draw conclusions:

• RX and Transmitter (Zorro ELRS version) are bound, and latest 3.2.1 firmware on each.
  • RX and TX pins are not backwards.
  • These two boards are compatible with each other at least on BF firmware.
  • When in MissionPlanner, and transmitter is off for example, then all sliders on radio calibration screen are 0. When bound, the sliders are completely erroneous and don’t respond accurately to stick input.

So; I narrow it down to a MissionPlanner/Arducopter configuration issue that I cannot pinpoint.

I have followed all instructions in following links:

Some things that I am already aware of, have tried, or am certain of:

• Running ArduCopter 4.3.7
  • SERIAL1_PROTOCOL = 23 (RCIN)
  • SERIAL1_BAUD = 115 (amongst others)
  • SERIAL1_OPTIONS = 0 (and bit 9 for CRSF)
  • RSSI_TYPE = 3 (ReceiverProtocol)
  • RC_OPTIONS bit 13 set for baud rate 420k

I’m pretty new but keen to learn and try new settings to help you help me!
I would appreciate any assistance on this, and thank you in advance.

There is no DMA on that uart, on an F405 you are going to need to pick UART2 or UART6. Not sure if this is precisely your problem at the moment, but it will be.

Hey Andy,

Thanks heaps for that info. I have moved the receiver to UART 2 and it is now working as intended, so I thank you again! In hindsight I should have tried this earlier.

I do wonder still why all documentation is fairly adamant that UART 1 should be used for CRSF/ELRS Receivers, and/or why that didn’t work for me. For now though I’ll run with this!

Can you point me at the docs? We should update them.

Hi,

I need little guidance on the same topic

To start with a bit of background, Its been a while since I am out Mission planner, after Covid things just stalled and I drifted away. Finally I decided to start again and found out the new long Elrs is in the market.

So I got new radio TX16s + Ranger 2.4 + Rp1 and RP2 package. I had the old setup which was running on FRSkY rx using Sbus, which I removed and replaced with ELRS 2.4ghz.

Let me start sharing the issue, after I installed the ELRS RP1 to one of the 4 pin UART G, +5v, Tx and rx ( wires are crossed from board to rx ( tx goes to rx and rx goes to tx).

The issue is that I am not able to receive any input from radio and mission planner does not show anything, I have try to change the input by switching the serial ports 1, 2,3 and 4 but nothing.

Any help to get it working will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Post your parameters and also what flight controller you are using - and please use 4.5

Hi Andy,
Yes I am using 4.5, please have alook at the parameters

This is my board and the circled blue is the 4 pin port i am using

I highly doubt that you are using an Omnibus F3 pro as there is no existing ArduPilot FW for this board and with 256kB of available flash there never will be.

Did you maybe mean “Omnibus F4 Pro”?

Post a parameter file. You don’t have RCIN specified on any of those serial ports so ELRS isn’t going to work.

My appologize, you are correct, I went and checked again it is Omnibus F4 OSD version

Now I have done, still no response

This is the third time I have asked for a parameter file. I’m not going to ask again.

Hi Andy,
Please excuse me, i missed out, I have attach the parameters file for your reference.

Hobbypilot Parameter file.param (19.1 KB)

Hi Andy,
did you had a chance to look at the parameter file

I’m not familiar with the board but I’d start with this:

Connect the ELRS receiver to RX1/TX1 and try:

SERIAL1_PROTOCOL,23
RSSI_TYPE,3

Looks correct now if you have attached to UART2, you might need to switch the lines

Did you solve the problem. How did you do that?

No I havent solve the problem yet, looking for some expert opinions in order to resolve it

Seeing this in hwdef.dat:

I realsied my issue is with a faulty elrs