New meeting order
Welcome Chris Olsen and Bill Geyer
Issues & PRs
UAVCAN Pending PRs
- new script database: start filling with ideas then replace with scripts
- ChibiOS dshot
- ChibiOS bootloader
- students can now submit their applications to us
- 3.6 beta test may start in 2 weeks
- beta test has started for Rover-3.2.2-rc1
- New Loiter will hopefully go into master this week, last chance for people to check the PR!
Attendee count (max): 25
UTC2301 - Pre-meeting discussions
UTC2303 - new meeting order
- Issues and PRs at start of meeting
- Updates afterwards
UTC2303 - new tradheli maintainers
- Bill and Chris
UTC2304 - https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/7894
- Align heli code with multi code
- In particular the spool-state within the motor’s library. States include throttle-unlimited / spin-when-armed, etc
- There’s a question as to whether spool-when-armed is a good name for one of the states. In multicopters the motors spin, in helicopters it’s a warm up before the motors spin.
- Added function to return spool mode
- Trying to eliminate as many #if statements as possible
- Changed things so you can wait until you’re in unlimited rather than simply looking at armed state
- Big multis also need to wait for spool-up like helicopters.
- Currently you can have control issues as you can take-off while still not fully spooled up
- So multis are benefitting from these patches too
- Randy and Leonard will be sitting down and looking at the patches
- Hoping to have it ready for review for master in a couple of hours
- Q: are we losing the ability to recover quickly after motor is disabled and then re-enabled in flight because the ramp-up will slow this down?
* Actually, it does; setting ramp time to 1 second and spool-up-time in the esc at 10 seconds
* ESC handles it
* ESC has slow-start feature where you must ramp the throttle over time
- Answer: The goal of these patches is to have no functional changes from 3.5.5 to 3.6.
- RL will talk to Chris and Bill so they can understand why some decisions have previously been made
- Need to handle the no-rotor-RPM-meter case
- Some sort of model required to estimate what the rotor speed actually is
- Couple of parameters?
- [10:19 AM] (Channel) JW: OooO I didn’t know they had a clutch
- [10:19 AM] (Channel) JW: I thought it was a constant reduction
- [10:19 AM] (Channel) RL: Most have a one-way except for very small helis
- Multi code should support all the features of helis
- We learn a lot about multis (including safety features) by making the codepaths as similar as possible
- Q? Has interlock feature been modified? current spool mode interactions need explaining
- Interlock would set landed flag immediately previously
- A. Need a clear specification from the heli users as to how interlock should work
- Including transitions between spool states
UTC2311 - https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/7849
- Mavlink extension for transfering total number of feedback events
- Allow autopilot to track number of feedback events the autopilot has received
- No way to tell on GCS how many camera feedback events have actually occurred
- Due to lossy links
- You can’t tell the difference between lost packets and lack of feedback events
- Uint16_t big enough?
- 4fps for 4 hours
- GCS could look for wrap itself
- Current message already has a 16-bit integer in it
- Need support on ArduPilot side
- Mavlink side merged!
UTC2330 - github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/7213
- MdB asks for someone to look at it!
UTC2330 - https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/7861
- Any argument for keeping this code
- Tridge wants it removed because it might spit out bad binaries and no core devs would notice because nobody flies AVR boards
- [10:31 AM] (Channel) JW: It’s confusing to newcomers looking into the code
- [10:31 AM] (Channel) JW: That’s my main argument to get rid of it
- If we need to do an APM release we’ll do it by hand
- The appendix of building binaries based on a branch-name suffix will stay until it hurts
UTC2334 - https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/7732
- Should we remove the dev-call tag?
- Someone to close this issue off as a “this is the way it is” resolution
UTC2335 - UAVCAN pending PRs
- Eugene has a 100% CAN aircraft
- He’s happy to do flight testing on Tuesdays (European time)
- Weight-on-wheels patches
- MdB has concerns about the interval between PR and merge
- Tridge e.g. Blending of airspeed sensors
- Would like a heads-up on core plane functionality PRs
- Tridge did look over it and found some stuff that doesn’t make sense
- E.g. uses wind estimate to enable/disable airspeed sensor
- But the airspeed sensor is used to create the wind estimate
- May cause airspeed sensor to be disabled and the DCM estimate to be used
- Which PRs?
- More testing of these UAVCAN changes
- Make sure stuff boots!
- TomP, Nate happy to take on this responsibility
- Funding committee will probably approve UAVCAN hardware for testers
- Tom will just buy one
- Someone should put in a funding request for Nate to get HW for this
- Philip will talk with Nate and Tom
- Can Here2 be used for testing?
- Bootloader is functional
- But not usable as UAVcan GPS/compass ATM as no firmware
- Zubax might be best test candidate for hardware ATM
- Emlid also have a unit
- Part of the Edge product
- [10:50 AM] (Channel) JP: the V2 is an M8Q, not M8P fwiw
- Back-to-back testing of Here2 with Zubax would be a good way to develop
- RM: we know UAVCAN is important because it’s on the roadmap
- MdB: We also don’t have any support for sending correction data over CAN
- Q? Who is responsible for writing Here2 UAVCAN firmware? A: Yes, Jonathan, Sid, etc doing it.
- OMD - Jani’s started to look at doing this
- JC and SP are looking hard at OMD ATM
- Bits missing in AP to work with CAN devices
- Ability to bootload
- Philip should raise an issue
- Maybe make the PixHawk look like a thumb drive instead?
UTC0000 - Tridge has been working on a ChibiOS-based bootloader
- OMD already has a bootloader?
- Tridge wants to use hwdef.dat to create bootloader
- Need to stick to 16k for F4
- Sectors on F7 are 32k
- current bootloader is based on Libopencm3
- 3k for bootloader logic
- No room for CAN + USB + serial
UTC0004 - Tom / new script database
- Collect ideas?
- Then later replace with actual script
- Lets us know where we’re hoping to achieve
- Threading concerns in terms of providing access to libraries
- This makes it difficult to promise access
- E.g. mission won’t be first priority
- position/attitude of vehicle will be first priority
- Then servos
- Play tunes
- Mixers in plane!
- MdB doesn’t want this to be seen as a roadmap as the scripting is too much under active development.
- Consider it a “broken dreams” list!
- Tom will put document together
UTC0013 - GSoC
- Submission period has started
- Students are able to submit proposals
- Still don’t know how many slots we have
- We need students to submit draft proposals!
- Submitting final proposals is bad!
- Need to be able to comment on any google documents too!
- So we can give feedback on drafts
- pdf documents are not a good solution as they can’t be commented on
UTC0015 - Randy and Copter/Rover announcements
- (should anybody be able to make “announcements”?)
- Rover testing for 3.2.2 has started
- New-loiter is ready to go into master
- Tridge wants to look over it
- We’ve lost use of one of the parameters we use in Plane
- Q_trans_decel when entering loiter
- How rapidly the aircraft can decelerate
- To avoid rearing up problem with quadplanes
- Leonard will work on
- How does it find Target position after fast-forward flight?
- LH: “correctly”
- LH and tridge will discuss
- Copter 3.6 beta testing start
- Get stuff in if you want it in!
UTC0021 - Plane 3.8.5?
- Here-compass fix
- Hopefully within next week
UTC0023 - tridge and S.BUS HAL/PX4
- Parity bits are not checked!
- Horrible protocol
- Which we must support
- Header bytes in middle of frame is just fine
- No CRC
- NuttX doesn’t support parity bits
- You will get crap RC input
- Including latest version
- ChibiOS implements correctly
- Raw dsm has no checksum
- Air-packet has checksum
- But stripped before sending over uart
- Blame Spektrum
- MdB: my comment is more that you should never accept the first DSM packet. You should require one withing 30 ms before accepting
- [11:25 AM] (Channel) MdB: Otherwise static can convince NuttX to think you have DSM input
- Tridge created something that could introduce parity errors
- Which used DMA-to-pin
- Which led to first implementation of a D-Shot ESC!
- Frames generated (see spectrum analyzer output)
- Tridge’s ESC is on the way
- 4-bit CRC
- “ProShot” support would also be nice!
- Betaflight uses “burst DMA-R”
- Great stuff, so tridge swiped it
- 4 output pins in single transfer
- Obscure STM32 datasheet page…
- Synchronised output!
- One dma channel per timer
- Quadcopter only single channel required
- Hexacopter 2
- Octacopter 2 or 3
- JW, Luis and/or Leonard will do some testing for tridge
UTC0032 - expenses
- Please get any claims into Luis!
UTC0032 - funding proposals for AUVSI
UTC0045 - other discussions
Swag Shop discussion:
- Should add link in Discuss
- Sales update from Jani in coming days, most came from canberra event
- Bump in sales occurs whenever someone posts on Facebook
- Jani asks Randy to send note to Partners making them aware of the swag shop
- Should raise a vote as to whether we have banner ads on ardupilot.org