Customize mission planner parameters indicators

Hello team,

I am new one in ardupilot so be lenient to me. I am trying to appear custom text and indicators on mission planner HUD. AT the moment I am using lua script to receive some data from serial 2 port telem2 and I want to decode them and visualize data to operator. I am using Lua scripts as described in Accessing/Adding Parameters via Scripts — Copter documentation
and I manage to create parameters both Full parameter list and parameter tree, but as it is described in forum they are useless (remain in non-volatile memory), how can I finally use them to indicate values. I was thinking somehow to make them appear in user items or instead use an enxiting user item rephrase it and then with Lua script pass my data and text message in case of danger.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

have a look here

If you are creating parameters with the method described in the link, their values are retained in non-volatile memory. In other words, they will persist between power cycles/reboots.

to make myself more clear I am not asking how to appear text in GCS like in picture, I can already do this. I want something like at left bottom side area, show some customized parameters like constant indicators informing user or like part “Quick” outside of HUD

As you see I can create parameters with LUA script

But I can not use them as user items when I right click HUD

You are confusing GCS text, autopilot parameters, and downlinked floating point values.

The gcs:send_named_float() binding seems to be what you’re looking to use.

did you manage to get this working? I am also trying to do something similar and am facing the same issue.

hi francis,
appreciate this resource. I am however unclear on the method that is used to display the values into the “Quick” tab in mission planner. I went through the files and don’t seem to see a way which you are placing it into the gui of the quick tab? Would appreciate any guidance you can give on this matter as this is quite useful to me. Appreciate the response!

yes.
so let’s say you send in Lua script the variable example. This will be like: gcs:send_named_float(‘name_of_variable’,example)

then in mission planner you go to tab quick and doubleclick one variable, it will show all the variable lists scroll down and then you will see variable ‘MAV_name_of_variable’ .

Click it and then you would see.

1 Like

thanks a lot this works on an arduino uno.

For my current application however, i am utilizing an ESP32 microcontroller. The library you provided doesnt work for this device, is there another library which i should be using with the ESP32 running the same codes? Appreciate the help

what happens in your arduino or ESP is out of spec of ardupilot. Here it is written how to use flight controller to send data to GCS nothing more. This lua script will be uploaded in Ardupilot not on arduino or ESP…