Custom telemetry over UDP link

I am new to the ArduPilot/APM Planner system and I don’t know if this is a support question or a developer question. I am trying to transmit a custom set of state parameters (GPS, attitude, etc) over an Ethernet link using UDP. Does such a capability already exist, or do I need to add it. I have seen the UDP and UDP Client settings, but I can’t seem to find any documentation about them and I am not sure what they do.

If the capability is not already in the application, can someone point me to the files/sections that I would need to look at to get this done. I have download the source code and poked around a little. I think I get the general idea of how the code is arranged, but there is a lot I haven’t figured out yet. I am familiar with QT, but far from an expert.

Ultimately what I would like to do in a nutshell is set up a UDP connection, grab the various parameters I need, formulate a message, and send it out on a regular basis (i.e. 1hz, 5hz, etc.). I don’t know if I should use the existing infrastructure (LinkManager, LinkInterface, etc…) or roll my own.