Current spikes

Problem 1 with spikes:
A friends 3DRobotics Aphex hexacopter with APM 2.6 Firmware 3.0.? started vobbling in the air and had to land. Downloaded the log and opened it in the Mission Planner and put the Current on the diagram. Two spikes double the high as the flying current, 4 seconds long (triangular), a few seconds between each other. What happened? Cell in battery? Wind none. Warm autumn 2014. 4S 5000mAh 30C LiPo (dont know if it was a Turnigy or a Zippy. Flying for a few minutes only.

Problem 2 with spikes:
Then on another multicopter, this time a 3DRobotics X8 this one also with a APM 2.6 firmware 3.0.?. It flipped up side down and fell down from 130 meters. Logs -> Two big spikes before flip. These were directly after each other. What what? Almost too windy. Temperature around 0C. January 2015. Flying for a few minutes (battery cells were 3,98)

Off Topic 1:
Another 3DRobotics Aphex hexacopter with APM 2.5 stopped flying and dropped down like a rock. It was on when disconnecting the battery. The logs just stopped. No logs can say what happened. Multicopter was descending after only a few minutes flight. It all works. Autumn 2014.

Off Topic 2:
Earlier a 3DRobotics Aero (SkyWalker) started loitering in circles (as it was supposed to) but those circles where leaning a lot. Ended with a almost fullspeed to the ground. Summer 2014.

Summary:
These 3DRobotics-things… its kind of frustrating right now! :wink:

I’m sorry, I can’t help without any log data.

Diagram JPG from Problem 2… I know its not the log. Will get back on that… (another computer)
Problem 1 peaks looks the same.

A log file would help.

I would look at the RCout for 1 to X for the number of motors you have. look for a throttle up

It might have got bumped but for a level throttle they do look big…depends. I can get big spike like that if I decide to throttle up and climb aggressively, especially is stabilise.

Log-file attached. Its time to fly again with the 3DRobotics X8.
Now with Futaba R617FS + Futaba T14SG + UBEC.
The X8 flew in Auto mode when it happened.
It flew against the wind, almost reached a waypoint, and flipped forward.

Maybe Current peaks is a better name of it.
Anyone help me analyze the log?
I think the APM 2.6 had firmware 3.0.1

No one? Look at the two peaks. I dont get it. They are to linear.

Shame rc in and rc out weren’t logged.

To me it looks like you were on an auto mission struggling with a head wind as the pitch is rocking back and forth by about 10 degrees. The apm raised the throttle to compensate but as your flight pack was down to 3.2v per cell at the time there wasn’t enough power to keep everything level. Motors then shut down from maximum to idle speed but I can’t see why unless it was due to the lack of voltage.

Oh, I guess I can activate different things to be logged?

RC in, could there have been failsafe or any disturbances?
In auto, the transmitter wasnt used, it just hanged there in the neckstrap.

I now have a anemometer to measure windspeed. =)

If the pitch is rocking/bogging, isnt that because the multirotor is front heavy?
If the multirotor is tail heavy, it should be more unstable (DJI manual says this).

The battery were charged, it didnt fly for long time. Zippy…
Now it is GensAce that is used, seems to be better.

Those two peaks are still a big ? for me. They are linear and lasts for a while.

Could a cell-problem do this? 4S -> 3S -> propspeed decreases -> motors revs up to keep propspeed and GPS-position -> to big current -> peaks? -> fails -> … I dont know.

It just flipped and fell down. Took a while.

Guess the ESCs have a cutoff at 3.2V per cell, but it couldnt be that? All 8 cutting out att the same time? What about RTF / Failsafe? It just flipped and fell a while after the big peaks.

Really strange…

The X8 is ready to fly, but…

as already said RCout enabled would have made this much easier to analyse. Read up the wiki on enabling/disabling logs. the logs are very powerful, they do take some time to understand…i quit elike the challenge and there is lots I odn’t understand in them yet…but I revisited yours.

If there was a fail safe on throttle it would show in the log. Throttle is the only RCin item that a fail safe occurs on.

Having escs with battery cut off enabled on a multipcopter is a very bad idea.

Not sure what you or DJI mean by stable and rocking and bogging…but an off centre Centre of Gravity will make some motors work hard and the others not…it is also not the best to have a significantly off centre CoG. Its not good for having maximum power in reserve for stability control and its not the best for run time.

Honestly the most likely reason more the current rose is because the brain asked for more throttle for some reason. I think you have fixated on the current rise rather than trying to figure out why it crashed. Those current levels could quite easily be completely legitimate. I think in this case of focusing on the current rather than emphasising the crash you have lead people (me at the least) to try to understand the reason for current increase rather than the cause of the crash.

Revisitng your log, there are some large Vcc changes. how are you powering the brain. I have also run an auto analysis and it show that it was at altitude when the log file ended. With the Vcc and that fact that it the log ended in the air indicates you have an issue with your 5V. The brain just turned off in the air…hance your crash.

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
Test: Brownout = FAIL - Truncated Log? Ends while armed at altitude 10.07m
Test: Compass = GOOD - No MAG data, unable to test mag_field interference

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = GOOD -
Test: IMU Mismatch = UNKNOWN - No IMU log data
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = FAIL - 9 slow loop lines found, max 16.80% on line 3816
Test: Pitch/Roll = FAIL - Roll (-178.41, line 4422) > maximum lean angle (45.00)
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = WARN - VCC min/max diff 0.307v, should be <0.3v

actuakky its doesn’t look as simple as the VCC alone. It flips before the log ends. Looks like it rolled over left and didn’t recover…this was uncommanded. Withou more lokgs like RCout its difficult to see if there was an underlying weakness prior to the issue.

Back to your esc voltage cut out…when those currents blips occurred you got very close to 3.25V per cell assuming its 4 cell…your comment about all escs cutting out at once…isn’t true…one will inevitably cut in first doe to component tolerances. At the moment the big roll occurs though your battery is at about 3.67V per cell as the voltage recovered as the load reduced after those peaks.

It does seem as though the time from flip to that low voltage period is too long though to be an esc cutting out…unless for some reason the esc take soe time to do something about it…it was very close to cutting though when the current blips occurred. Do the escs havea reduced power mode when the voltage starts getting low before the cut? (again a bad idea on a multicopter). RC out would show symptoms of this if there is a low power mode…but RCouts aren’t available to check as said.

If there is a low power esc mode, it may have reduced power to a level that the brain couldn’t maintain attitude.

Ah, I could have created a new .LOG from the APM, if it wasnt loaded with new firmware to get the RCIn’s and RCOut’s? Or is there any other way? Must find that wiki…

At the crash, there were a FlySky-radio (Turnigy 9X lookalike) and a FrSky 4-channel receiver with ppm used, not mine, maybe it is sold now… could have looked at them.

The ESCs are 3DRobotics:
store.3drobotics.com/products/e … p-SimonK-1
They were assembled on the X8 when sent from 3DRobotics.
I really hope they have disabled cutoff… but we should double check.

DJI mean the nose jumping up and down when flying forward appears if it is nose heavy.
CG are always checked before flight with the battery.

There have been other flights with the exactly same current peaks, followed by problems like descendning and wobbling. Something isnt right. Have happened on another multicopter. The diagram (for Current) shows a very smooth curvy line and suddenly these peaks that are straight. Strange.

We heared that the X8 struggled with the wind (more motor-sounds) all the way when it flew against the wind, but nothing spectacular.

Yes I may have fixated on the current peaks more than the crash, thats right. Sorry for that. I thought they appeared for some reason because those peaks appeared on earlier flights also with following problems. Peaks were not always in the end of the flights.

The X8 frame are not symmetrical, pretty dumb construction, at least I think that. Not mine:
40.media.tumblr.com/3ef77389c5d9 … 5_1280.jpg
Stable left-right but not so stable front-back.

The X8 flipped forward, we thought, and the .KMZ-file shows it too.

The 3DRobotics APM 2.6 is powered with the 3DRobotics Power Module:
store.3drobotics.com/products/a … connectors

• Power to PDB and to motors.
  • And a different cable to power the APM and RC.
    One big problem here… the servos were also powered by the PM (same as RC and APM). Its “illegal”. =) And could have caused problems. The gimbal couldnt make the servos bind.
    The X8 have its own Castle Creations UBEC now.

One LiPo on the X8, a Zippy 4S 5000mAh 25C.

The log ended after it crasched, look at the picture earlier in this thread, when the battery was disconnected. Or is it at 10m… The X8 fell from 130 meters and landed upside down in the soil/dirt. Nothing broke besides 4 props and 2 motors bearings sounded bad, GPS stopped working (dont find sateallites anymore) but looks fine.

Havent done any AutoTune, dont know how to do. Will try on my DJI F450 with APM (test platform).

Brownout FAIL? APM I guess. Is that because of the low cell-voltages? Or one of them. Remeber this problem have occured earlier on other multis (3DRobotics Hexacopter) that may have had the same battery (“flight pack”).

What does PM = FAIL - 9 slow loop lines found, max 16.80% mean? Slow loop lines?

IMU Mismatch = UNKNOWN - No IMU log data? Is that because of problems with accelerometer and/or gyroscope?

If the ESCs cutoff stopped the motors because of too low voltage, then it is pretty logical it flipped… I will check all ESCs if I can find a manual for the ESCs. Even thou voltage was recovered. And I will check if reduce power is active on the ESCs.

The temperature were +4 degrees Celcius at the time.

This is very interesting. =) And big thanks for your time. There are three multirotors used and they all have their personalities.

(sorry if my grammar isnt correct, swedish is my native language…)

Hi, see inline below

[quote=“MickeM”]Ah, I could have created a new .LOG from the APM, if it wasnt loaded with new firmware to get the RCIn’s and RCOut’s? Or is there any other way? Must find that wiki…

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way, the various log types need to be enabled before flight before they are any use…you can’t enable them post flight to add data. Its difficult to recommend what logs are critical to log. The APM can struggle if all are enabled. I suggest RCOuts are enabled though at least for a few flights.

At the crash, there were a FlySky-radio (Turnigy 9X lookalike) and a FrSky 4-channel receiver with ppm used, not mine, maybe it is sold now… could have looked at them.

The ESCs are 3DRobotics:
store.3drobotics.com/products/e … p-SimonK-1
They were assembled on the X8 when sent from 3DRobotics.
I really hope they have disabled cutoff… but we should double check.

ah ok…I imagine they are multicopter specific then, which should men no cut offs.

DJI mean the nose jumping up and down when flying forward appears if it is nose heavy.
CG are always checked before flight with the battery.

OK

There have been other flights with the exactly same current peaks, followed by problems like descendning and wobbling. Something isnt right. Have happened on another multicopter. The diagram (for Current) shows a very smooth curvy line and suddenly these peaks that are straight. Strange.

I think the straight lines are due to the update rate being quite slow, the lines just join the points. Wobbly descents are pretty normal for multicopters…if well tuned its shouldn’t flip or crash…but its just the way they are…descending down though its own turbulence is harder for it.

We heared that the X8 struggled with the wind (more motor-sounds) all the way when it flew against the wind, but nothing spectacular.

Yes I may have fixated on the current peaks more than the crash, thats right. Sorry for that. I thought they appeared for some reason because those peaks appeared on earlier flights also with following problems. Peaks were not always in the end of the flights.

some flights might not show current peaks if it was all smooth and easy. It’s easy to get fixated sometimes…don’t worry about it. Its good to try and solve it and suggest things, I should have tried harder to work out why it crashed in the first place rather than just looking at the current.

The X8 frame are not symmetrical, pretty dumb construction, at least I think that. Not mine:
40.media.tumblr.com/3ef77389c5d9 … 5_1280.jpg
Stable left-right but not so stable front-back.

asymmetry isn’t necessarily a bad thing. My DIY builds generally are symmetric though. But it probably does mean you will need different PID values for pitch compared to roll. Are they the same? (I haven’t re-looked at the log to check)

The X8 flipped forward, we thought, and the .KMZ-file shows it too.

The 3DRobotics APM 2.6 is powered with the 3DRobotics Power Module:
store.3drobotics.com/products/a … connectors

• Power to PDB and to motors.
  • And a different cable to power the APM and RC.
    One big problem here… the servos were also powered by the PM (same as RC and APM). Its “illegal”. =) And could have caused problems. The gimbal couldnt make the servos bind.
    The X8 have its own Castle Creations UBEC now.
    as you say runninf servos on the same power PM power is a bad idea…glad you sorted it

One LiPo on the X8, a Zippy 4S 5000mAh 25C.

The log ended after it crasched, look at the picture earlier in this thread, when the battery was disconnected. Or is it at 10m… The X8 fell from 130 meters and landed upside down in the soil/dirt. Nothing broke besides 4 props and 2 motors bearings sounded bad, GPS stopped working (dont find sateallites anymore) but looks fine.

OK, if the brain switched off causing the crash, the log would have ended at 130m. Maybe it landed on higher ground than where it took off? See further info below

Havent done any AutoTune, dont know how to do. Will try on my DJI F450 with APM (test platform).
Its not too hard…read the wiki

Brownout FAIL? APM I guess. Is that because of the low cell-voltages? Or one of them. Remeber this problem have occured earlier on other multis (3DRobotics Hexacopter) that may have had the same battery (“flight pack”).

No not the cell voltages. This is power to the brain being lost. The automates test is quite simplistic in that it just tries to see if the copter is at the same or close to the same altitude as where it took off. If say the copter brain loses power at altitude, the log stops at that altitude…not ground altitude. Its just a simple method to try and detect issues…sometimes the automatic tests generate false fails due to the simplicity of the check…but they are useful none the less.

What does PM = FAIL - 9 slow loop lines found, max 16.80% mean? Slow loop lines?

I havent figured that one out or seen an answer yet…I have seen a few people post asking about it recently.

IMU Mismatch = UNKNOWN - No IMU log data? Is that because of problems with accelerometer and/or gyroscope?

It doesn’t indicate a problem, just that there isn’t any data to look at as it wasn’t enabled in the logs.

If the ESCs cutoff stopped the motors because of too low voltage, then it is pretty logical it flipped… I will check all ESCs if I can find a manual for the ESCs. Even thou voltage was recovered. And I will check if reduce power is active on the ESCs.

Check it all over, but on an X8 ideally if a motor is lost it should cope…ideally at least :slight_smile:. The reason I build a DIY x was for the redumdancy if a motor failed. On one flight one of moters stopped and I almost missed there was an issue other than seeing one propeller not spinning. I suppose a badly tuned copter may still crash though. I also guess if the battery is really flat it may not cope…but I would think this would manifest itself as losing height but level…but I guess in extreme cases a flip could occur.

The temperature were +4 degrees Celcius at the time.

This is very interesting. =) And big thanks for your time. There are three multirotors used and they all have their personalities.

Would be boring if they were all the same :slight_smile:

(sorry if my grammar isnt correct, swedish is my native language…)

No need to apologise…your english is infinitely better than my swedish :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Hope you get it sorted!

This was a while ago. Four multicopters and a plane works fine without any problems.
The problems in this thread seems to be gone. Lots of upgrades was the solution. :slight_smile: