Cube not showing SF30/D

I just attached a new SF30/D to a Cube Orange with latest Arduplane installed, using the I2C connector. After rebooting, the MP status display still shows sonarrange=0, as if the unit weren’t connected (but it’s getting power) . Parameters are set as specified in the rangefinder page for Ardupilot, and the i2c address (102) matches that shown in the setup software for the SF30. What else should I check?

Good day,
are you using a different power source for supply the sensor?

I’m not. It didn’t occur to me not to just use the +5V on the Cube’s i2c port. I see now that the SF30 can draw 250mA. Is that too much? I can’t find the current specs for that port.

Good day,
usually its better use an alternative power source for supply rangefinders… telemetry modules and other periphs… just uae an ubec for supply your sensor

I do have a power supply that can provide the 5v, and I already use it for the RFD900. But it’s disappointing to discover that I have to run another separate wire again rather than just plugging into the i2c port.

If you don’t want add an alternative power supply, with a multimeter you can check the draw of the I2C port.

I rewired everything to put the rangefinder on a separate power supply. Still not seeing any sign in MP that it’s being recognized. Anything else I can check?

Check out the video I linked to in this post.

That’s a nice rangefinder but it pulls too much current to power directly from the I2C connection. The I2C connection can power things like a magnetometer and other low power sensors.

I’m new to using the Cube myself but one purchase which I hope will make it easier to connect various sensors to the cube is this wire set.

I’m hoping these pre-crimped wires will make it easier to make adapter cables to sensors without the standard Pixhawk connector.

1 Like

SF30/D it’s also serial… try using UART instead of i2c

I believe I’d have to make a whole new cable, since I already wired the Molex connector for i2c. Also, I don’t have any free UARTs right now.

Hi Grant

Have you ever solved this issue? I am sitting with exactly the same issue connecting an SF30D to a Cube Orange on I2C.

As you described, all my settings are set to the recommendations outlined on the documentation page LightWare SF10 and SF11 Lidar — Copter documentation, the unit is getting power but sonarrange remains at 0.

LL

I did solve it, but it’s been over a year, and I don’t remember exactly what I did. I’d have to look at the physical connection and parameter settings. Unfortunately, it’s locked away for the winter in a hangar several miles from home!

No worries.

I got it working

I verified the following Cube settings after setting the device to “Legacy data output-> Output type (legacy) → Full communication mode” using the LightWare Studio software.

RNGFND1_ADDR 102
RNGFND1_GNDCLEAR 10
RNGFND1_MAX_CM 1650
RNGFND1_MIN_CM 5
RNGFND1_SCALING 1
RNGFND1_TYPE 7

LL

1 Like

Thanks LL,
This fix helped me out of a spot!
However i had to reboot 2 times and on the third, the “no range finder found” warning went away and i can now see sonar range :slight_smile: