CUAV Core X7 and NORA experience

I made some PID modification and removed the TF02-Pro rangefinder. Front TFMiniPlus is now looking down for Altitude control.

Here is the altitude log of last flight,

And the RC-out with Up and Down motors in the same power range

Purpose of the flight was to check new settings and produce a better quality video than first shoot with phone.

https://vimeo.com/447488267

External compass (IST8310 from GPS module) is now working and used as primary. I had to reset parameters by uploading new firmware (4.0.4 rc3) to identify external compass.

Here is an alert for X7-X7Pro-Nora users with CAN PMU.

Capture d’écran 2020-08-17 à 18.45.36

If battery voltage drop below 9,5V, easy with a 3S battery, possible with a 4S lazy one, PMU can stop powering Nora or your X7. I had three occurrences with my Nora configuration and I reproduced the drop at home with a Lab power source.

It could be a bad PMU but it is better to check your units and report result (good or bad) to CUAV.

https://vimeo.com/448597185

At 10V PMU is powering the Nora, at 9.5V +0-0.5, Nora is not powered and reboot when 10V is restored.

1 Like

Good to know. I use 6s batteries in all my larger crafts

I also fly 6S on my larger one.

CUAV tech confirm the 10V mini to power Nora with CAN PMU. CUAV V5+ power module need also 10V (I checked mine).

It is safer to fly with good 4S and to have a battery low voltage protection.

1 Like

This is a great find! I feel like this thread should be moved over to the CUAV Forum which may bring more attention to the issues we find.

I updated in the other thread regarding the CUAV HV PM - it didnt seem to suffer the same issue.

2 Likes

With a fresh new 5A-4S battery I had some more flights.

Low voltage drops are gone. I also received a M9N GPS and I use it in blend mode with the CUAV M8N.

Here is a video showing my Y6 with two GPS and a Benewake TFMiniPlus rangefinder.

https://youtu.be/52v1wlkeGuI

1 Like

Hello, has anyone tried to use the Nora with Here2 by any chance? Any issues?
Thanks
Gal

I have attempted to, but have been unsuccessful. I have the Here+ RTK and getting the Here GPS connected with the JST GH connectors are incompatible and I haven’t received the proper size to re-pin it. The Pro GPS that CUAV makes works extremely well and the I have found the built in compass is rock solid, even next to metal objects.

2 Likes

Hi @crazy1pilot, so basically you were unsuccessful for lack of the right cables, not for problems of integration? i.e you haven’t reached parameters problems and such, right?
So I can still have the hope of saving on that? :wink:
Gal

Yes, the main connector on the Here GPS is 8 pin and Nora is a 10 pin. You should be able to run it in CAN but there is a bit more configuration required to get the HERE GPS to work properly. The NEO Pro from CUAV runs on CAN as well but is very to setup. If you do end up using a HERE GPS report back how it works as I will most likely not be trying again.

1 Like

Some update:

I moved the Nora unit form my testbed Y6 to a larger Y6 with 15" propellers and camera.

Arducopter version is the latest 4.0.4 stable.

1 Like

One thing I have noticed for those who are using the NEO GPS from CUAV, the mount/mast that it comes with though it looks nice, is actually quite weak (as seen in the picture above). The arming switch being at the front of the GPS means every time you press down to arm your copter, you slowly bend the GPS mast. Not a big problem but more of something to be careful of.

Did you mount it using both screws in the base? I use a bunch of these and don’t have this issue. Also I have disabled the safety switch as I am not a fan of sticking my fingers in the areas of potential blade spin

1 Like

Yeah, both screws are used. its not the base that bends, but the top where the void is. Its only after many uses 20-30+ flights and pressing down on the GPS to arm the copter. It just starts to show a slight bend or lean forward. If your arming switch is disabled on the GPS that makes sense why you haven’t had this issue… Its not a big deal and they look nice, but I’ve had to bend it back after repetitive arming’s. Its not always me flying either, the same thing has happened to others who fly the system. Again it was just more of an FYI or “food for thought”.

I would secure that GPS wiring to the mast and to the frame base plate, leave enough length for flex at the flight controller. I’ve trimmed back some of the outer insulation so there is greater length of the thin wires exposed for more flexibility.

This is exactly what I did too…

I have to ask… How hard are you pushing on the switch? :joy:

Well, figured it and here is a small blog entry I created for the solution in the hope it will help someone.
Gal

Could you please share your Battery monitor parameters?
Is using CUAV HV PMU okay? Or are the settings different?

Thanks