CRSF-Crossfire-MAVlink

Hi All

I currently have my Futaba transmitter to communicate via its receiver connected to a Pixhawk Cube Orange (RC IN) - this is obviously used for control and works well.

I also have a laptop running MissionPlanner connected via MAVlink (Bluetooth) to a TBS Crossfire transmitter that communicates via its receiver connected to the same Pixhawk Cube Orange (Telem 2) - this is used for telemetry data and also works well.

Now, to eliminate the RC receiver and increase the control range, I am trying to enable CRSF on the Futaba transmitter. This should allow me to send control data on the crossfire radio link and use the MAVlink connection to the Pixhawk.

The TBS Crossfire recognizes the Futaba transmitter as soon as it is physically connected to the RC Input port via a modified trainer cable supplied by TBS – FUT 12Ch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/127HljWHCT2ezGa12bK2QzvK_AE0y2Die/view?usp=drive_link

Software versions:

MissionPlanner - v1.3.80

Futaba - v4.0A (Europe)

TBS Crossfire - v6.19

Pixhawk - v4.4.0

Configuration and Connectivity:

MissionPlanner

SERIAL2_BAUD = 115

SERIAL2_PROTOCOL = 2

Futaba T12K

LINKAGE_MENUE > SYSTEM > CRSF = ON

My understanding is that this setting enables CRSF on the trainer port and disables the internal transmitter. This is verified that connectivity to the RC receiver is lost at this point.

TBS Crossfire TX

No specific confiscation

TBS Crossfire RX

Mode = 12 Ch

Telemetry = ON

RC by MAVlink = OFF

Output 7 = MAVL.RX

Output 8 = MAVL.TX

With the above configuration, I am disconnected from the RC receiver immediately once I enable CRSF on the Futaba transmitter. Then, there is NO response in MissionPlanner when testing the RC transmitter controls. The same applies after rebooting the Cube.

Switching the TBS Crossfire RX, RC by MAVlink = ON, seems to send some RC control data across the TBS radio link but still does not allow me to use the controls. There is no response to any control input.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12JFdzeHEp1BMFyrJbQbWrHaMMyilj-Sc/view?usp=drive_link

With this configuration, the four stick controls are fully deflected (all green), and channels 5 through 12 fluctuate between 50% to 100%.

I receive full telem data at all times.

How do I get this function working reliably?

LL

are you sure your futaba isnt connected using PPM? I think only T18SZ and T16SZ can do CRSF after a software update.

Hi

The new v4 software allows CRSF on the T12K.

Please see the images of the config on the transmitter as well as the documentation amendment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12MtzTysrd0O5chq4cDGcKrCleefY_pGG/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12LbD8z6IvCKGS368FwpVeytnBQ4pPjfn/view?usp=sharing

LL

1 Like

what do you mean it recognises it??

have you tried it with ppm?

Hi

Once the Futaba is connected to the RC-IN port of the Crossfire, you see the following on the Crossfire screen - RC Input: FUT 12Ch.

see immage - https://drive.google.com/file/d/12OM-Mu8bnqoF7_n1j-r6jH8HCkLFAMP0/view?usp=sharing

No, I have not tried with PPM. CRSF is faster / better imo.

LL

I was suggesting it so we can test to see if its an input issue with CRSF or not.

!! SOLVED !!

Gees, this took a lot of reading, youtubing, and testing.

On the TBS receiver:
RC via MAVlink: ON
Interface mapping is set to CRSF (7 and 8 in my case). If I use MAVlink on these ports, it also works but is REALlY sluggish.

On MissionPlanner:
Telem1 Protocol = 23
RSSI = 3

Then the big culprit, my Futaba radio - on the last of the trainer port configuration pages (4/4) the port is set to 16Ch (even though this is 12Ch unit). THIS MUST BE SET TO 12Ch.

Now I have CRSF as my primary control and telem link on Crossfire, and a backup control link on the RC receiver. To switch between the two all I need to do is disable CRSF, then the internal radio will be enabled and connect to the RC receiver.

LL

1 Like

[quote=“Leftless, post:8, topic:106049”]

It looks like I am celebrating way too soon…

With the following settings -

On the TBS receiver:
RC via MAVlink: ON or OFF - makes no difference
Interface mapping is set to CRSF (7 and 8 in my case for CRSF).

On MissionPlanner:
Telem1 Protocol = 23
RSSI = 3

On the Futaba radio - on the trainer port configuration page (4/4) the channel mode is set to 12Ch

Futaba radio commands are successfully sent to the Cube via CRSF on the TBS Crossfire link.

The issue I have now is that my telemetry is not working.

After rebooting everything the command and control data gets from the Futaba to the Cube, but, the telemetry link does not connect properly to MissionPlanner. The link status remains in a connecting state with the message “getting params”.

Also, the link quality is bad. On pressing the connect button on MissionPlanner, the link quality starts at around 60% and then deteriorates to around 15% within about 60 seconds. It seems to read some data but never completes the connection.

Note: This is with CRSF configured on the receiver ports 7 and 8. If I set these ports to MAVlink and change the Telem1 protocol to MAVlink (RSSI setting remains unchanged), the RC command and control data do not work, obviously. However, the telem link connects within a couple of seconds to MissionPlanner and the link quality is at 99%.

The past two days I’ve spent factory defaulting everything, reloading and updating software, etc.

Any suggestions??

LL

Hi,
I have a F405 wing with a CRSF receiver on the plane. It looks that my telemetry is working at least at home. On the CRSF module I have the following set up: Mavlink on, Mavlink mode emulation,In the WIFI settings: Mavlink UDP,Port 5760. In the receiver, mavlink RC on, channel output CH1 Mav TX, CH2 Mav RX. On mission planner Seria1 (in my case) protocol 2 and 115 baud.
I hope it will work for you as well.