Crashed first flight! Need help

So I went to tune my craft and armed it in the gym. I realize that I won’t have GPS reception but I still should and want to be able to fly in a large enclosed space.

The tri copter armed fine and I got it into a hover for about 10 seconds or so it seems. Nice! Then it started climbing and climbing. I killed the throttle and nothing happen it, just took off and hit the rafters!

What is my next step in diagnosing this problem. I’d hate to think what would have happened out side!

The first step is to post a log file, uncommanded climbs can be vibration issues but we have no way of knowing that without the required info

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/downlo … n-planner/

Thanks, I will take a look at the logs. Is there anyway to tell which log to load here?

Also, I just really want to fly this thing to start, not too concerned with the auto pilot yet. Is there a way to just fly in stabilize mode without the GPS enabled? After I get the thing tuned, then I will test the more advanced controls.

I am concerned about the climb and hope to figure it out. My only speculation is that it maybe went into RTL and that is why it climbed as it was trying to get to the set RTL height. Not sure what triggered it yet as I was only 5 feet from the craft when it headed for the roof! Hat to think what would have happened if I had been outside and it started to climb away!

So I went to follow the link and it won’t help me. It is for Mission Planner and I am using APM Planner 2.0 as I run Mac. My there is no info for APM Planner 2.0 I find frustrating.

So, when I connect with Planner in the terminal all I get is scrolling characters, no menu as I did before. Additionally, when I select logs on the lower left nothing happens.

Urrg!

I only know something about MP. So bear that in mind regarding my comments.

It was reported that Terminal is not supported (and unnecessary) in 3.2

Tlogs are recorded/stored in MP (and I assume APM Planner) if the radio telemetry was connected during your flight. If not the log folder should still be accessible when you select, in the planner.

Data Flash logs are stored on the Flight Controller and require a connection to access.

SC

[quote=“Meradin”]So I went to follow the link and it won’t help me. It is for Mission Planner and I am using APM Planner 2.0 as I run Mac. My there is no info for APM Planner 2.0 I find frustrating.

So, when I connect with Planner in the terminal all I get is scrolling characters, no menu as I did before. Additionally, when I select logs on the lower left nothing happens.

Urrg![/quote]

So I was able to finally download the logs but…no time stamps! So I really have no idea which log to share.

I can load them in the graph but I don’t really know what I am looking for in order to find which one to share. I am guessing the logs with zero bytes are empty and not worth sharing.

So, which ones should I load or what should I look for in determining which to share?

I suspect the issue is that something triggered an RTL, possibly a failsafe, or a fence breach, which can be triggered even from Stabilize. This is why flying indoors is tricky. We are working on making this better in the near future with an “indoor mode”.

But in the meantime, we need logs to figure out what happened.

Have you seen these instructions for APM2.0?

planner2.ardupilot.com/

From you description (ie. missing time stamp) are you certain you opened the actual log folder, or just the Planner/ Logs folder?

When I select MP “load logs” the Logs folder will open. Then I open a sub folder “quad coper.” Then opening another subfolder “1”. That is where my actual logs are stored.

[quote=“Meradin”]So I was able to finally download the logs but…no time stamps! So I really have no idea which log to share.

I can load them in the graph but I don’t really know what I am looking for in order to find which one to share. I am guessing the logs with zero bytes are empty and not worth sharing.

So, which ones should I load or what should I look for in determining which to share?[/quote]

Unless you have the 3DR radios hooked up to your copter and you were running APM Planner at the time of the crash the logs in APM Planner will not be of much use.

On the Pixhawk Flight controller there is a Compact Flash card that has a recording of the crash. This bin file will not have a date on it because there was no GPS at the time of the crash and that is what is used for the data and time. The logs will be in order by number and a log is created every time the copter is armed.

You can take the Compact Flash an load it onto your Mac and then upload the file so we can take a look at the flight. You don’t need anything to do that other than a way to connect the Compact Flash to the mac.

Mike

I am running a aurdupilot 2.6 (hkpilot2.7)

I was not connected to the planner 2.0 software as I was inside and figured I wouldn’t get gps reception.

I disabled the fence and was ins stabilize mode. The one thing I neglected to remove was the failsafe but I was only 2 yards from the copter at the time of the crash.

So, there really isn’t a way to fly this indoors easily?

Back to the task at hand. I connected the APM and found the data flash logs. They are a bunch of .bin files. There is also a tlog at the approximate time of the crash even though I wasn’t connected to the computer.

Here is the log and one of the bin files that I think has some erratic data that could be the crash.

Ok, so I had a look at that .bin file. There’s not a lot of info in it. It shows you are flying in Stabilize, and I don’t see any errors.

The weird thing is, it is showing absolutely no Roll/Pitch input at all. Like you never touched the control stick. I do see throttle input. Your Vcc is a bit lowish at 4.7-4.8, but that shouldn’t cause the crash. But be aware the manufacturer of your system hasn’t built it right.

It does show pretty good GPS reception at the time. Are you sure this is the right log? I really can’t tell you much based on the info in this log.

To tell you the truth, no I am not sure this is the correct file. I have no idea what to look for. I have read a ton on the APM system and thought I was prepared for this adventure and I guess not!

I had thought I posted the tlog of that time, did that give anything?

I tried to load the IMU message’s AccX, AccY and AccZ values to search for vibrations and nothing shows up, as if the data wasn’t recorded.

The vids I have seen eluded to the possibility that I need to tell the APM to record these in the terminal as they are not set to record by default. Only trouble is, the terminal no longer works in Planner 2.0!

This process has been extremely humbling as the support out there is all over the place!

Until my replacement parts arrive I guess I am left to sit here and second guess my HKPilotMega 2.7 purchase. Perhaps a KK board with an EZOSD would be a better place to start. I just thought the auto pilot functions would be useful.

While I am waiting I guess I should figure out why my odd only works when connected to telemetry (Yes, I have tried all the suggested parameter settings!) and how to properly setup my failsafe on my RX. I am using a frisky TFRSP with a football 10c radio.

Just so you know, this forum is intended for support of 3DR customers. You might try talking to your system vendor for more in-depth help getting set up.

So, they have directed me to you as it uses your software (it even calls out on the HK site APM). You are telling me I have no avenue for help/support as I did not buy this from you? I get it, I truly do. I just don’t like it. I was lead to believe there was a community of support for these controllers.

If you cannot help me, perhaps could you steer me in another direction?

Yes, it’s unfortunate that other vendors do not support their customers, and mislead them into thinking that another vendor will support them. This forum is specifically for 3DR customers. You might have more luck on DIYDrones as it is hard-ware agnostic. And there is a large number of people using your system on RCG, so you might be able to get some community help there.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it and it does make me second guess my purchase a bit. While you are not line, can you comment on a pixhawk?

I would not be at all purchasing a new FC from 3dr if it came with setup support. The is worth the extra in my opinion. Would the pixhawk be a better platform than the Ardupilot?

Also, why are there two versions of the control software (Mission planner vs APM Planner)? If I upgrade to a pix I would still have the issue of all the support being geared to mission planner and I am left to muck around and try to figure out the Planner side of it.

Pixhawk is definitely better than the older APM2 boards (what you’re are calling Ardupilot… it’s all be confusing naming as the software is also called Ardupilot, or APM:Copter now…)

Anyway, yes, definitely better. It’s much more powerful, and is the future. There will be no new major releases for the older boards.

Mission Planner is the original, but runs on Windows only. APM Planner 2, is multi-platform, so it can run on Mac, etc. Have you tried getting support here:

viewforum.php?f=82

Not on this particular topic, only in trying to get my OSD to work, which is also giving me fits.

Can I get support for my equipment (Non 3dr) in that forum? I have a few questions left.