Crash with ArduCopter v4.4.4 [battery caused, not caused by autotune]

Thanks for doing that. I think the title should indicate the incident happened during autotune but was not caused by autotune.

As a follow-up, the vehicle is flying again (using different brand of batteries) and feels really good. I backed down the gains a bit from those returned by autotune and the handling qualities are good.

2 Likes

Qauto tune and Auto tune has worked very good on my 2 Manta Vtol wings ,1 with Speedybee f405 wing and other Matex f405 te !
I recommend tuning each axis separately if the battery time is limited, but if you have a 30 min plus battery you can autotune pitch and yaw axis’s on same battery with no problems and roll on a charged battery!
I dont think ppl realize that the autotune parameters are saved once the tuning process is completed on each axis once you land and disarm !
Nevertheless I am only replying to these posts because I don’t understand why ppl are having issues with Regular Qtune/Autotune ??

The reason people have problems is simple: they skip configuration steps that are prerequisites for a successful autotune.

No need for further investigation. It is a known problem that happens often.

There are also a number of things that will also cause autotune to fail or produce bad results:

1. Higher noise than the AGGR of 0.1 threshold.
  2. Overly soft vibration mounts on the autopilot
  3. Overly flexible frame
  4. Overly flexible payload
  5. Autotune may not be suitable for some of the other aircraft types that rely heavily on feedforward.

The rest of the problems that mess with autotune should be taken care of in the setup and first flight/tune phase.

I would guess tilt vectored motor yaw on VTOL would quality for #5, as autotune on the yaw axis would make it unflyable.

Maybe, maybe not. That isn’t fundamentally FF dominated.

A general warning on autotuning yaw. Autotune attempts to get the sharpest tune possible on the axis being tuned. Autotune does not reserve any actuator bandwidth for the other axis. For roll and pitch we want the sharpest tune we can get. However, I rarely run the autotune results on yaw because it is secondary to roll and pitch. I will use autotune to work out the FLTE setting but will generally back off the P term.

This may also be the case for your tilt vectored yaw case.

VTOL as the additional problem that often yaw is most susceptible to being over powered by disturbances.

We are getting off topic here. I will open another autotune specific discussion when we start testing the latest autotune changes.

2 Likes