Crash when using Joystick in AP2 (win/Ubuntu)

[Moved to new thread, always good to start new threads :wink: ]
bilbonney,

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I believe that there is a bug with the joystick implementation.
In Windows the selection/enabling of the Joystick causes an almost immediate crash.
In Ubuntu (built from latest git clone) a similar thing occurs but the crash only occurs after a few minutes.

Anything I can do to assist in resolving this?

We can raise this as an issue. I havenā€™t tested on Linux or Windows, just OSX.

Bill,

I think that I may have given you a bum lead. The crash seems to occur at various point - not only associated with the Joystick. I have installed and uninstalled a few Ubuntu versions right up to the latest beta version and the crash occurs with all of them.

This is the output in the terminal console:

apmplanner2: ā€¦/ā€¦/src/xcb_conn.c:186: write_vec: Assertion `!c->out.queue_lenā€™ failed.
Aborted

Is there anything else that I can provide? I am an ardent Ubuntu user and Iā€™d really like to see APM 2 get stable.

Also, (but now not really related) I am not sure how to get the joystick to have precedence over the RC tx. The display on the joystick is spot on - the controls are precise and all of the buttons recognised, but pressing the activate button seems to have no effect.

Thanks
Gary

There is an error in 14.04LTS with libxcb crashing sometimes, try this [fix] gist.github.com/slimsag/a26d838ccc4480ce21bc

Not sure if it effects newer versions like 15.04

@billbonney
Using a Logitech Gamepad F310 in APM v2.0.18 in WIndows 10 as soon as I select File/Joystick, ā€œapmplanner2.exe has stopped working.ā€

The F310 calibrates perfectly in Windows devices beforehand and prefer using the X mode. I tried both the X mode and the D mode switch but they both crash APM 2.0.18, although using the D position, I had one frozen screen of joystick calibration values in the popup window that populated using the D position. This is a fresh install of APM 2 on a fresh install of Windows 10. I recall the joystick working in Mission Planner (not recalling the version) over two years ago, having needed to set it all aside for a long time.

Iā€™m going to try to locate an older version of APM for comparative results.

Update: I am not having joystick setup connection crashes when in Mission Planner, just APM

[quote=ā€œeber0206ā€]@billbonney
Using a Logitech Gamepad F310 in APM v2.0.18 in WIndows 10 as soon as I select File/Joystick, ā€œapmplanner2.exe has stopped working.ā€

The F310 calibrates perfectly in Windows devices beforehand and prefer using the X mode. I tried both the X mode and the D mode switch but they both crash APM 2.0.18, although using the D position, I had one frozen screen of joystick calibration values in the popup window that populated using the D position. This is a fresh install of APM 2 on a fresh install of Windows 10. I recall the joystick working in Mission Planner (not recalling the version) over two years ago, having needed to set it all aside for a long time.

Iā€™m going to try to locate an older version of APM for comparative results.[/quote]

Update: @billbonney. Versions 2.0.15, 2.0.16, and 12.0.17 all work correctly without crashing when I select File/Joystick in APM 2. I replicated the crash behavior on a fresh install of Windows 10 and APM 2.0.18, then sequentially removed and installed from version 2.0.15 through 2.0.17, each working as expected. Removal of v2.0.17 and install of v2.0.18 immediately resulted in ā€œapmplanner2.exe has stopped working.ā€

[quote=ā€œeber0206ā€]Update: I am not having joystick setup connection crashes when in Mission Planner, just APM

[quote=ā€œeber0206ā€]@billbonney

Iā€™m going to try to locate an older version of APM for comparative results.[/quote][/quote]