Cost of 3D printing

I thought I would have a go at printing this excellent looking Tri created by Adrian over on DIYD main

diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/3d- … to-reality

My jaw somewhat dropped when my local printing house here in South Africa wanted more than $500 to print it. Is that an outrageous number or in the right ball park?

Gary,
For that money( may be little more) you can buy the tri frame( why print if it is molded some where) I think :slight_smile:.

cheers
Morli

[quote=“GaryMortimer”]

I thought I would have a go at printing this excellent looking Tri created by Adrian over on DIYD main

diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/3d- … to-reality

My jaw somewhat dropped when my local printing house here in South Africa wanted more than $500 to print it. Is that an outrageous number or in the right ball park?[/quote]

Yeah 3D printing is always more expensive. I have a FDM 3D printer and I’d rather buy standard carbon fiber frames and print just custom parts. The best for my economy.

I thought it would be a cool thing to try but have backed down quickly! Completely agree with buying in a frame, I have made wooden hexa’s and then G10 versions in the past.

Buying in some expensive whiskey and carving some frames in front of the fire might be a better way of spending that $500 :wink:

No doubt it will become cheaper before too long.