Copter Tailsitters

I’ve seen people using engines at the wingtip. They say it provides more stable flight. I haven’t tried it, but decentralizing the motors will make it easier to control.

I like your drawings. They look seriously successful!

1 Like

You are ambitious and I believe you will succeed.

1 Like

thanks,

I tried re-positioning the motor more outward, but not at the wing tip. Maneuverability in vertical mode was improved.

I also checked the transition from forward to vertical mode, which I hadn’t been able to do before, but it was very windy in vertical mode and I couldn’t get it back to home. The wind speed is 3-4m/s, but it seems to be hard for this small plane (see video).

I think this plane needs some improvement in the vertical mode with the slight sway and the maneuverability of the roll axis in the horizontal mode. Nevertheless, I would like to see a more improved flight if the wind is calm.

1 Like

Don’t forget to keep me informed of the developments.:innocent:

1 Like

i would like to do this. if you want to share.

I think other lightweight materials can be used for the feet. Thin and low friction against the wind.

It looks like your PID gains are too high for roll and pitch. There is an obvious 7Hz oscillation.
Seems to handle the wind pretty well though.

2 Likes

I’ve tested it. I think it has improved. At the same time, I don’t feel the nose weight on the stick at all when QACRO, so I may need to try optimizing the FBW settings.

Thanks. Is Autotune a smart way to improve this oscillation? I’m worried if the battery can last until this mode is complete.

1 Like

I’d first do manual tuning following the process outlined in the wiki:
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/quadplane-vtol-tuning-process.html#step-10-manual-tuning-of-roll-and-pitch
You should do that prior to attempting qautotune with any tailsitter. Also note that qautotune is currently not recommended for tailsitter yaw/pitch axes anyway: QAUTOTUNE — Plane documentation

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll have it done by the next flight. By the way, does the setting here affect the performance of the horizontal mode (the horizontal mode is now stabilizing)?

I had a successful transition from QSTAB to FBWA and forward flight today. This aircraft is very windy, especially in vertical mode. It is 3-4m/s (I think it is stronger above that). It is very difficult to maintain the position in vertical mode (also in QLOIT). I didn’t feel any problem in transition, but in QSTAB from FBWA mode, the transition was successful, but the strong wind made it difficult to distinguish the posture of the aircraft visually, so I had emergency landing (almost crashed).

I’m glad you switched to YouTube. I will follow you. I think it was a very successful flight. It looks like the wind is high. Most people fly in windless weather.:joy:I notice that the plane is vibrating while in the air. As if the plane is lying on one side, the force applied for the correction is applied a little late.

I have noticed on my own plane that sometimes the motor drivers cannot transmit the input signal to the motor at the same time. There is a delay in between. The tremors in your plane could be caused by this. Or some more parameter settings can be made. Just my opinion.It is very successful even now.Congratulations.

1 Like

I tried with a similar frame in Plus (+) configuration. But realized, it will never work and stopped the project.
The torque to control yaw is insufficient.
https://studio.youtube.com/video/IUnaiVFsVPM/edit

1 Like

The problem can be solved by adding surface areas.It can control movements with both differential motors and surface areas.I think it’s something that can be overcome.

Since you have no control surfaces, stabilization in fixed wing flight modes is provided by QASSIST.
Documentation for QASSIST is at: Tailsitter Planes — Plane documentation
Since the copter controller is used in all flight modes with QASSIST forced on, the copter PID loops are always active and they will determine the behavior in FW flight modes.

1 Like

I continue with impatience.
I’ll be doing test flights with an old and worn fuselage.

1 Like

Fantastic! I am so encouraged by a new collaborators.