Copter-4.2.0-beta1 available for beta testing!

@rmackay9 EKF3 allocation failed with EK3_IMU_MASK=3.

@Mallikarjun_SE,

Thanks for the report.

If you have time could you test if the same failure is seen with 4.1.5? This will more quickly help us determine if it is a new or existing limitation. There are certainly configurations where there simply isnā€™t enough memory available for all the enabled features.

If it is new could you provide a log file and/or parameter file so we can try and reproduce?

Hey @rmackay9
Tested on AC4.1.5. There was no issue with 15 reboots.
Getting MAVFTP is failing to initialize with AC4.2beta. Happens only when both CAN drivers are enabled by CAN_P1_DRIVER=1, CAN_P2_DRIVER=2. After reboot it shifts to EKF3 not enough memory or MAVFTP failing. Have attached the param file below. Is it because of moving baseline feature enabled?

AC4.2beta test.param (17.0 KB)

Free memory with CAN_P2_Driver=2
Free memory after CAN_P2_DRIVER=1 (Difference is now thereā€™s no MAVFTP or EKF3 initialization problem.

Do you have any news about changing altitude during mission? I am quite puzzled as why we have tons of boutique things almost nobody uses, support 80+ different boards but we donā€™t have a basic feature as change altitude during a mission. We even support vtol landing on a boat, maybe altitude change in mission could be done with lua too?

@Corrado_Steri,

Iā€™m afraid thereā€™s no update on providing the ability to add an altitude offset during a mission.

Different developers work on various things so adding support for new boards actually has no impact on this item. AP is fully open source, if thereā€™s a dev who has the skills and wants to implement it we very much welcome their PRā€¦ until then, itā€™s on the to-do list but weā€™re going to do it properlyā€¦ no bodged solutions.

1 Like

Ok great will wait and hope

Corrado

p.s. we have been using a ā€œbodgedā€ solution for 3 years now and never a prob, maybe a bodged solution would have been better than nothing waiting for the ā€œproperly doneā€

curious enough, i was wandering about presence of such feature (change alt while auto) just recently, asking myself if it was there already and iā€™ve could miss it among everything ardupilot offers. So itā€™s not there, all right, got it :slight_smile:
PS just to be clear, iā€™m everyday grateful for the work all devs do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not sure whether it is properly done or not but I did some implementation about it here, @rmackay9 FYI. @Corrado_Steri wait some time for it to become stable. Stay TUNEd :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great to see something is moving, hopefully will be good enough to have it merged soon :slight_smile:
Thanks

1 Like

Did you apply an offset to the waypoints altitude?

Actually not to the waypoint but to the position controller, so you can even change the current altitude between waypoints based on TUNE settings and current TUNE channel value.

Great, we tried changing waypoint altitude because it was less dangerous to test but if waypoints are far away it takes ages to change. Working with position control is way better.

1 Like

I saw that the TUNE channel read is rated at 3.3Hz so altitude changes will be really fast :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really looking forward to test it if itā€™ll pass the merge :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, ready to test also! I see your PR is in units of cm. Thatā€™s great after I learned my lesson with the WP speed Tune units :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rmackay9 Been watching all the dev conference, very nice job. Do you think the ability to change altitude during a mission can be sneaked in before the fix for the navigation near the magnetic poles??? Maybe even before they fix EKF in th proximity of north and South Pole, which, in my poor man opinion not many people will miss much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like your PR didnā€™t have much luck yet.

@Corrado_Steri,

Txs! I think 4.2.0 is almost fully baked so there wonā€™t be any further enhancements included. We are trying to do releases more regularly though so maybe it will make it for 4.3. We havenā€™t even got a PR for it yet though so weā€™re still a ways off from getting the enhancement request resolved. Iā€™m sure it will be done before the magnetic poles issue is fixed though.

Dev conference is very interesting, it s a shame not many people take the time to watch it on the youtube channel. Maybe it should be advertised a bit more.

3 Likes

PR from @Mustafa_Gokce has been sitting there for 2 weeks, not much attention to it, seems.

1 Like