Copter-4.0.4 released!

I updated to the latest beta and that didn’t solve it I had to pull the SD card to grab the logs. So I have some sort of issue…surprise hahaha

I fly 4.0.4 with Cuav Nora and X7. Both are fine with logs (Mission planner 1.3.73 or 1.3.74)

@mlebret @rickyg32

Have you guys been used SD cards from Ultra, Extreme or regular speed?

@rickyg32,

Sorry for the false hope. I talked with MO further and his opinion is that it’s not an MP issue actually and I suspect he’s right. To get to the bottom of this we probably need a developer who can reproduce the problem and then dig into the cause. I’ll check with the other devs on discord to see if they have ideas.

If you (or anyone else) has info on when it happens that would be great. I suspect the answer in your case will be, “didn’t happen, now it always happens”.

So the SD card I honestly don’t know what make it is. But when I pull it the next time I will check it out.
As for when it happens. @rmackay9 I honestly can’t say when it will happen. Like you say…it didn’t happen then it did…then it didn’t and now it does.

It’s annoying but I can still pull the data if I need it.

I had the same problem few days ago, I couldn’t download from neither MP and QGC, so I assumed it was an SD card problem.

What sorted it out was full format in windows (not quick). SD cards do fail after some time, so it seems that I am ok for now, but I should get a new one.

Sandisk Ultra 16Gb class 10 with Cuav Nora and X7.

Download of dataflash via Mission Planner USB connection

There were a large number of fixes in this area in master - it would be good to know if that also shows the problem

@ajghor I will reformat the card before I hit the field on Sunday. Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering the possibility of perhaps a card going bad.

I have some really good high speed cards I could switch too.

@andyp1per
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the master. I assume its the base from which all versions of Arducopter stem from. If it is the base, why are these fixes not in the gold release. Please don’t take this as a criticism, just trying to understand the process and the Lingo. lol

It’s the development version

First there was a master only (1.0), then the betas came (1.0 RC1,2,3), then they transformed to stable 1.0, then the new master 2.0 was born, followed by betas, and by stable, and so on…
Now we are on 4.0.4 stable and a new master 4.1 has started, which when ready will be in the beta (RC1,2,X) until it has been approved as a stable, and so on…

I see now I get it.
Thanks for that. It’s greatly appreciated.

It’s like a growing three with multiple (named) branches.
All branches grow as time passes by. Some older branches do eventually stop growing as development in those versions stop. But the master branch is the one that grows every day, multiple times per day :slight_smile:

Hi All

I have an issue and wondering if anyone has any advice:

Running Arducopter 4.0.4 with ardusimple for heading.

Because Compass_enabled = 0 and compass_use = 0, I get PRE ARM COMPASS NOT HEALTHY errors and I cannot arm. (unless I force are through mission planner)

PreARM check for compass is DISABLED, but still it stops the copter from arming.

Is there any way around this?

Does enabling compass learn work?

Should I try remove the compass arming checks from arming.cpp?

I have tried enabling compass 1 and 2 (the 2 x internal on the cube) but then I get a constant BAD COMPASS HEALTH message on the HUD.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

I hope this is the right place for my problem. ugraded to latest release, but was unable to arm drone. I tried all the usual tricks, but each time I came round in a circle till I decided to calibrate the esc,s. That failed as well until I remembered you needed the push button switch to start the calibration. So I fitted the switch and calibrated , but then I realised although I have arming check set at 0, could it be the arming push button switch is now mandatory. That was it, I needed the pb switch and now have to arm before each flight, where as on earlier releases you could remove the switch and the copter would still arm in MP I have set arm to 0. So what is the current thinking of needing the old pb switch to arm ???

Disabling arming check is not enough:

Configure Board Safety Enable

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/parameters.html#brd-safetyenable-enable-use-of-safety-arming-switch

Please , please, please do not disable arming checks. Just set the board safety options like explained above

1 Like

Thank you so much for pointing me to the correct location in perams tree. I will now be able to put some of my arming checks back in

@graham_new,

I’m not very familiar with ArduSimple F9 GPS but I guess you’ve attempted to set-up GPS-For-Yaw? So there are two GPSs on the vehicle? If there’s only one GPS on the vehicle then the EKF will still need the compass to estimate the heading.

In either case I think it should be fine to leave the compass enabled and this avoids the arming check failure.

1 Like