Copter-4.0.4-rc1 released for beta testing

Actually i think that expecially for new people this page is a lot easier than the old one. At least it tells you wich compasses are on the system and the list of them. The old one was completely blind.

1 Like

To know wich one is external in case you don’t know bus or anything, just take a pic of the list and than disconnect it and reboot, the one that is not there anymore is the external :slight_smile:

Yeah, I understand that is a way of doing it. But in the old page it automatically marked which ones were external and internal. If there was just one word that used the bus info to state if it is external/internal - I think that would be very useful for new users.

As per the yaw offsets, do you know how that would be changed via this page - or would the user have to go to the parameters list.

Did you try making a calibration and see if they show up at the end of it?

Hmm, no I didn’t mess with a compass calibration because I didn’t completely understand the new page (and the current calibration is locked in). Will try to complete a calibration when I go out for flights sometime soon.

However, shouldn’t the directions be set prior to calibration?

Do you mean orientation?

Yeah compass orientation - for example if I had the external compass mounted 180 degrees for some reason. On the old screen there was a quick and easy drop down menu to set this orientation.

I believe it authomatically sets the correct position for you during calib.

1 Like

Interesting, I did not know that this was the case. I have had calibrations fail in the past because the external compass orientation was not correctly set. Is this something new?

I think it uses internal compasses orientation as a reference to set the external orientation during calibration. That is why it is important to have AHRS orientation set correctly before mag calibration.
I don’t think it is new in this release.

2 Likes

Hmm ok, I usually disable the internal compasses right away during setup and then perform a calibration - so maybe that’s why I haven’t encountered this before.

If you have COMPASS_AUTO_ROT set to 2 (check and fix) it will… Well, check and fix! Been in there for awhile (3.6 rc-7 as per changelog)

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I probably did not notice it’s addition because I have been manually ensuring the orientation is correct during past aircraft setups. Most of the time I am able to mount the GPS in the optimal orientation anyways.

Nonetheless, I assume this automatic fix eliminates the need for the old drop down box in the compass screen.

I have found it to work well. I had to mount a GPS module in an odd orientation in a Plane and it found it correctly from calibration. I’m not sure how it’s done though because that was on a Kakute F7 that doesn’t have an onboard compass.

1 Like

regressing from 4.0.4-rc1 to 4.03 disables esc’s startup when armed.

@Christian81, @norim Do not report regressions from 4.0.4-dev, that version should have been marked as 4.1.0-dev.
If you were using 4.0.4-dev (git master HEAD), please do a git pull, recompile and re-test. You will get version 4.1.0-dev.

4.0.4-rc1 is actually older and more stable than the former 4.0.4-dev and now 4.1.0-dev. I hope this formulation is clear.

1 Like

I found this issue a few months ago that i do not understand, today It showed up again. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx4ef45euzb30z4/IMG_5245[1].MOV?dl=0 Best guess it related to the GPS and Taranis. Thank you guys for all the work you do. Update I wondering if this has something to do with low voltage and my USB.
Going to try Dev,

The question was, if the fix for the parameter Reset in this release is the same or if anything was added? Because for us, the fix did not solve the problem.

Is the same fix. just backported to the stable branch.

looks like you might have run a master firmware on your board, as devtype 18 only existed for a very short period in master. please do a compass calibration to reset back to normal