Controlling TBS VTx power with Smart Audio

Sorry, Atlatl won’t work - I bought one to try and fix it but its implementation of SA is totally busted - it doesn’t even send the correct number of stop bits. There is apparently a v2 coming out which Holybro will hopefully send me to test.

2 Likes

I have been trying to get Vtx control but the option VTX_Enable is not showing in the full param list
in fact no VTX params are showing allthough the Serial option 37 (smart audio) is present. Have I missed some other setup.
Firmware: 4.07
Kakute F7 AIO V1.5

You need to use 4.1 no support in 4.07

Still trying to get it to work. But noticed that the gimbal stopped working when when 4.1 is loaded. Also tried 4.2. Checking the option its set to none (greyed out) so cannot be changed returned to normal by going back to 4.07.
Set the up the parameters for the VTX as copter documentation but the controller dose not seem to talk to the vtx. I put a scope on the tx output of the port and there is no data. even at boot. Would you expect data at bootup a query perhaps.

Post your parameters. Did you follow the wiring instructions? What board is this on - mount is disabled on some 1Mb boards.

The board is Kakute F7 AOI using the STM32F745 which I believe is 1Mb
I verified again That the gimble control is ok in 4.07 and I can control
the gimbal. In version >= 4.1 The gimbal settings are greyed out and gimbal control
no longer works. Dose this mean gimbal control is not supported in the new versions
on this board or has something gone wrong.

On the original problem I have connected the smart audio to the Tx of serial 3
which has been set to 4800 baud
VTX_ENABLE set to 1
VTX_BAND = 0
VTX_CHANNEL =1
VTX_FREQ =0
VTX_MAX_POWER = 800
VTX_OPTIONS =2
VTX_POWER = 25

SERIAL3_BAUD 4 4800
SERIAL3_OPTIONS 4 also tried 68
SERIAL3_PROTOCOL 37
also set RC10_OPTION 94
I also set the vtx power I n to show in the OSD.
when I arm the copter the value goes from 0 to 25 in the OSD But the VTX is unchanged.

I have little experience of smart audio but I have written firmware which uses the Tramp vtx control
and the first thing I did was query the VTX to make sure its on line.
I would assume that you do the same with smart audio but having checked with a scope. The output at
boot just goes high and stays high.
4_2 Parameters.param (18.2 KB)

That board has HAL_MINIMIZE_FEATURES set so a whole bunch of things are disabled including both the mount and smart audio. You will need to build your own firmware or wait for the custom build server

Thanks for your help I have some time next week so its about time I setup the DEV environment
for Ardupilot and get to know it a bit better under the hood.

Hi,
Have you guys tested VTX_ENABLE=1 with SCR_ENABLE=1 ?
I am using “latest” firmware on Matek F765WING and after enabling VTX my scripts initialize (I see first message send by the two scripts) then they stop to work. I am not good in debuging this, however I have already doubled SCR_HEAP_SIZE to 80000 (also tried different vals from 50k to 80k) and looked into threads.txt and memory.txt on SD card with no luck for any hints. I also set TERRAIN_ENABLE to 0 to free up some memory as TERRAIN is known to take up lots of RAM.
Regards,
Jacek

SOLVED
I rolled back to TBS V6.10 from TBS V6.12. Now I’m curious what is in V6.12 to cause this conflict.

Ok, The strangest thing is happening. I’m not a Logging guru so I’m stumped.

It is as if my Vtx is receiving SA commands when it shouldn’t be. RC12 is my SA channel. I get pure static patches like my Vtx Tx power is dropping in and out. I’ve unlocked all the settings on the Vtx. It was working fine. I had a fail safe issue where the Rx lost bind the day before. I’ve rebound and this issue is presenting. It does not present when I have my transmitter turned off. Only when it is on.

I’m thinking it is a hardware issue related to my loss of bind. If anyone has ideas I’d like to hear them.

TBS Unify Pro 32 (wired direct to battery. BEC on BEC is bad)
Matek743 Slim
Copter 4.1.1

My log file to see the messages. I’m unsure what else to look for to confirm it isn’t an Ardu issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GfATXPQRQoA63OUG1raI0GDGT4NLrqa/view?usp=sharing