Controlling one aircraft with two Ground Control Stations

Afternoon,

Our university’s UAS department is searching for a solution to passing off controls from one laptop running Mission Planner to a second laptop. For example, to maintain line of sight over our area of operation.

We are testing this with a Tarot 680 Pro, using a PixHawk 2/PX4.

I apologize if I have not been descriptive enough; I am drinking from the fire hose.

I did not realize it was quite so easy as connecting two telemetry modules! I’m sorry for wasting a topic!

I do have another question:
Is there any way to use a prompt or monitor to verify which station is currently controlling the aircraft?

Is there any way to use a prompt or monitor to verify which station is
currently controlling the aircraft?

You can use SYSID_ENFORCE to ensure only a single system id controls the
vehicle at one time (when combined with SYSID_MYGCS). Otherwise all
system ids can control the UAV.

You should ensure that each of your GCS has a distinct system ID.

Where is this parameter found?

I have done this using Mission Planner and a couple tablets running Tower, but stopped because I didn’t wan’t multiple people controlling the aircraft, only extra observers. How do these multiple stations identify themselves? Or is this also a parameter in Mission Planner and only Mission Planner has this option?

I’d like to bump this topic again, as we are revisiting this project.
cndnflyer asked good questions that I am also looking for the answer to.

Could someone elaborate on how the GCS changes hands with a separate ID? Our goal is to fly the 680 out to a middle point between two GCS running Mission Planner. At this point, we would enter a hover before the other GCS takes control. Unless I’m misunderstanding, there doesn’t appear to be a way to do this without having both GCS under an identical ID and either one able to control the aircraft at any time.

1 Like

Looks like the only way is to have both GCS connected and brief the operators not to change anything until a certain point is reached, I.e. middle hover location.
If there is another way I’d like to try it.