Controlling Gimbal with PixHawk 4

Hi -

I am attempting to use a PixHawk 4 board flashed with ArduCopter 4.4.3 to control a camera gimbal. My use case is effectively that the gimbal is attached to a moving (non-UAV) vehicle and I want to use the pixhawk to keep the gimbal focused on a specific location as the vehicle moves around it.

First question - is it possible to use the pixhawk in this way / will I run into any problems if the board is not controlling other parts of a vehicle (ESC’s etc).

I currently have the board setup with an RC transmitter plugged into the boards DSM / SBUS RC. I then have the boards SBUS out going into the gimbal. I have set up all the parameters of the board manually according to the documentation. However, I am unable to manually control the gimbal with the RC channels as indicated in the documentation. If anyone could help advise what might be the problem / if my intended usage will be possible, I’d really appreciate it!

To clarify I also have a GPS module for the Pixhawk.

I am currently testing in an environment where I can’t get a solid GPS lock - does the board need to pass all pre-arm checks before it will communicate with the gimbal via SBUS?

Second update - I have installed the board on a copter with everything hooked up properly. The GPS signal is able to get a lock and the vehicle is armable. However I am still unable to control the gimbal with the RC channels or using the ‘payload control’ tab on Mission Planner. The settings I have provided earlier are still my parameters. Help would be appreciated!

Providing another update - I have the pixhawk and the camera gimbal talking properly to eachother now, I can control the gimbal through RC channels 6, 7, and 8. However, when I go to select a point on the map (via right clicking and selecting ‘point camera here’) the gimbal does not respond. I have a GPS that has a fix hooked up the Pixhawk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @kwunder,

We’ve got these two pages on how to control cameras and gimbals. The gimbal (aka mount) is probably what you need.

I suspect the issue is that you’re perhaps not setting the gimbal mode? Mission Planner’s Data screen’s Action tab has a drop-down and button that can be used to change the mode.