Controlling Gimbal in a specific FMODE

Hello good people.
I am building a simple, single servo ROLL gimbal for my mobius to be mounted on my airframe. i have configured PAN/TILT gimbals before for my quads so i know how to do so. now i want to do so for my Arduplane but this time to turn it on or off based on my flight mode - e.g - when in Manual flight it is OFF, when in FBWB/A - ON.
I guess you can do this using a free channel but i wish for this function to be related to a specific Fmode.

Can I?

So…
NO?
YES?
MAYBE?
SOMEONE?

Hi Jellyfish
It’s probably possible if you add something to the APM code, but I can’t think of a fast way to do it in a manual aka FBWA mode. A quick and dirty way would be in Auto you can set it in the mission plan, and still fly using the RC controls in Auto by using the “nudging” functionality, which is similar to FBW, but will require you to follow the preset mission WP. Be careful as this means it will always try to go for the next WP, especially so once you have neutral RC sticks.

Thank you Jeff.
I guess I chose the wrong wording when i wrote ON & OFF when actually i was talking about locking the gimbal (“FPV mode”) and stabilizing the video.
I see what you mean. we both understand this was not implemented and a code change is needed for such functionality. I do feel this is a must. i have a full house fpv plane with more then 12 channels, and i wanted to be able to stabilize my video for up to lets say ±20 degrees on the ROLL axis, but to be able to lock it to airframe for saftly reason as it is dangerous to fly fpv with stabilizing gimbal as you do not know your bank angle.

I sure hope someone will add this to the code as it is a very simple add-on and very useful.

Until recently Arduplane and Copter haven’t been in the FPV space much. I understand your issue with the gimbal and flying, but maybe an OSD with artificial horizon etc could resolve some of the safety issue with flying in FPV with gimbal?

OSD AHI is always there so i know my bank angle, but it will be nicer and handy to fly in FBW (for exp.) and to have my gimbal stabilizing my video, and then to lock it looking forward when switching to manual mode. I sure hope this very simple option will be added to Mission Planner Gimbal’s setup to chose not only which channel controllers it, but also in which FM_______ it will output the relevant PWM_______ value.

Simple,Yet powerful.

The change would have to be implemented in arduplane though, MP only displays the settings/parameters, but does not actively control them in flight. From memory there’s a features request list on Git you where could try asking for it. If you can write up the specific behavior required in detail, you’re more likely to see it adopted faster.
Regards

Of course. I was talking about the representation of the code change in MP gui.
Can you please guide me how to suggest this requested feature on Git?

Thx.

How come such a simple request gets no action item for so long? (7 months).
Why is it so hard to link PX4 aux/servo output to AHRS but also be related to specific flight mode?
I bet it will take AP programmers no more then 15 minutes tops to implement and it will be so handy for so many fpv pilots out there.

If this was already implemented, please direct us to where and how.
Thank you.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for you to dive into the code and figure out how to implement it yourself!

I would if I could.
I am not a programmer.

Can anyone out here add this to the code please?

So simple:

• Code: Arduplane
  • Goal: to link AHRS Horizon to RC channel (already exists and works great) but this time have it depended on:
  • When in a specific Flight mode (for exp. MANUAL) Lock it to 1.5ms PWM with trimming option.
  • When in another Flight mode (For exp. FBW_) Lock it to AHRS / ROLL / AILE mixer output (with trimming option) so camera mounted on a servo/gimbal will be locked to horizon (stabilized output)

I bet you now see how simple my request is.
Who among you out there will be the one this feature will be named after him?

Can I suggest that you open an issue here:

It’s the best way to the dev team to review the requirements.

note: Sometimes what might seem a simple feature can have unexpected issues.