Connecting Sik radio and best practice question

I’m looking to add a telemetry radio to my 500mm quad. I’m running with a Matek H743-Slim, ExpressLRS 2.4GHz, and 5.8GHz video (Rush Tank Solo Max).

Primarily want for ability to connect to Mission Planner to monitor and also upload missions. Hoping for reasonable range of maybe 5km max (eventually, I understand I would need proper groundstation antennas and possibly a tracker for this).

Looking at the Holybro Sik radios at this point for cost and size.

1. 433MHz or 915MHz? I am in the US and a licensed amateur radio operator. I can easily build antennas for 433MHz but 915MHz would obviously be more compact. Any range differences? Interference issues with what I am currently running?

2. I see the diagram for the air radio shows connections for the receiver. Is this necessary or best practice? Considering I am running ExpressLRS.

3. Would this setup seem to accomplish what I am looking for? Does having MP connected via telemetry interfere with controlling from my TX16S?

Thank you!

Bryan

Hello @droniedarko

About your questions:

If I am not mistaken, the 915MHz is the one approved by law in the US, I think people in Europe has to use the 433MHz due to regulations. Really don’t know about performance.

Really don’t know about questions 2 and 3.

If you have an amateur radio license you can use 433mhz in the US. I used one for awhile (have the license) but I don’t think there was a significant range difference. All else being equal you should technically expect more range but perhaps the antennas I was using were the limiting factor.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, that is very helpful! I think I’ll go the 433mhz route for sure. I have a few 70cm yagis already too. Cheers!