Compass/Motor Compensation not arming motor and no plots. Dshot/ESC telemetry compatibility?

Hopefully the title says it all. I am running arduplane 4.2 on a kakuteH7 flight controller with a M8Q-5883 gps/magnetometer unit and mission planner 1.3.77. I have been building a sub 250g UAS, and the non-standard thing about the setup is I am using ESC telemetry as my battery monitor to provide both current and system voltage. The ESC is commanded using dshot600 (not bi-directional dshot). Telemetry is a separate serial port from the ESC. Currently, everything is functional, I can spin the motor and see voltage and current on mission planner. However after calibrating the magnetometer I noticed a 10 degree change in yaw at max throttle values, and since I am unable to move the magnetometer due to the small size of the vehicle I wanted to try the compass/motor compensation. However when I go to that screen, clicking start does nothing. The motor does not arm and nothing is displayed on the graph.

Is this functionality compatible with dshot and esc telemetry? Or do I need an actual battery monitor?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question has been asked before. I’ve been looking all day but have not been able to find an answer one way or the other.

Hello William,

I am not sure, but maybe it requires a more conventional battery monitor.

If I am not mistaken, there is a way to perform it based on throttle input of your RC, but I am not sure on how to do that.

I would suggest you use the Magfit utility thru MAVExplorer.
Magfit

You don’t want to use throttle as a reference for compass motor compensation. The correlation is very poor. It’s likely to be worse than no compensation.