Compass heading

Just updated mp and my firmware on my apm 2.6 and now the red and orange heading lines are around 24 degrees off from what they actually are. Any reason for this or way to fix it other than manually moving my gps unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m using the “alien” style frame which is pretty much a tbs discovery clone. I have it setup as “V” it worked flawless before the software / firmware upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I thought that as part of the upgrade of the Firmware that you are required to redo the Compass calibration.

I would also look at the HUD and check that as you rotate the copter around that all the direction are right.

Mike

I did redo the calibration, it’s 24 deg off of what it should be in the HUD

Are you calibrating/testing indoors or somewhere with a lot of steel/iron content? Concrete can have high steel content with reinforce bars.

In my house it’s all wood, redone outside even, no change

Surely some1 else has experienced this, it is happening on two different quads even diff pc’s

I don’t have an APM and only use Pixhawk. Your saying that when the copter flies that it flies sideways by 24 degrees.
Does the HUD show the correct direction of the copter. IE 0 is North, 90 is East and 180 is South and 270 is west or is it off by 24 degrees.
The Orange line is the direction to the next waypoint so I don’t know how that applies here.
The new firmware now uses both compasses and favors the GPS one over the internal one.

Mike

[quote=“iseries”]
The new firmware now uses both compasses and favors the GPS one over the internal one.[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Can you elaborate on how the new firmware uses both compasses?

Thanks,
Carl

So on the main board there is a compass that is built in. This compass suffers from two many components near it. The second compass on the GPS is moved away from this area into the open air.

The firmware then calibrates both of these compasses and uses the second one as it’s primary compass and the built in one as backup or a self check in case of large offsets.

So the arrow on the GPS must point in the same direction as the copter if you are using 3DR’s compass.

Mike