Comparing a uBlox F9P with a M8P with RTK

I am modding my GPS mount with a ground plane. Is there any guidance about distance between the GPS and the ground plane

As close as possible, you should match the bottom of the patch antenna but we can’t really do that.

1 Like

The choke rings function well and are easy to bring level with the stock internal ground plain.

match the bottom…as it the plane conforms to the shape of the bottom of the gps.

I have a plastic snap in mount for my GPS. I have no modded it based on your input to include a ground plane. I need to check to see if I can get it closer to the GPS.
This is for the Zubax GNSS v2 GPS

Looks good I would not worry about it.

1 Like

Yeah, its not clear from the graph. It is basically the percentage of 10 minute test periods in a 5 hour period that had an Integer RTK Fix for a given amount of dwell time. For instance, the NovAtel had 50% Integer Fixes within the first 110 seconds or so.

Here is the explanation from the paper:
“In April 2016, a total of 5 hours of data was recorded simultaneously using u-blox NEO-M8P receivers. The time-to-first-ambiguity-fix (TTFAF) metric was used to assess the impact of the antenna setups, because multipath is a critical factor that affects the ability of the receiver to converge and fix ambiguities. The 5 hours of data was divided into 10 minute periods. For each 10 minute period, the TTFAF was measured where the TTFAF is defined as the period of time between the first position fix and the first integer ambiguity fix from the M8P solution.In April 2016, a total of 5 hours of data was recorded simultaneously using u-blox NEO-M8P receivers. The time-to-first-ambiguity-fix (TTFAF) metric was used to assess the impact of the antenna setups, because multipath is a critical factor that affects the ability of the receiver to converge and fix ambiguities. The 5 hours of data was divided into 10 minute periods. For each 10 minute period, the TTFAF was measured where the TTFAF is defined as the period of time between the first position fix and the first integer ambiguity fix from the M8P solution.”

hahahahaha yup that helped.
hahah.

Thank you for trying it’s appreciated…but still greek to me. But thats ok. GNSS=good F9p=great.

I found this antenna and wanted to share with you. Looks like a ideal start to build a ground plane antenna. I ordered one and will see.

Interesting but why does it require the two components. I assume the one on the right is the antenna.
The left the compass and receiver I guess. Wouldn’t this be easier to deal with
https://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=266

1 Like

Yes that is pretty sweet! I never saw this one bummer.
Isn’t 20/20 hindsight so annoying!

Now that I saw the GPS, you could make the ground plain a bit larger.

There is also this one I came across.
hindsight does suck lol
But I know zip about GPS other then I need one and you plug it in. lol

I don’t have the room on my drone to make the ground plan bigger. It’s already a big as quad. lol

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your post. It’s very useful for me. I’m trying to replace my existing M8P GPS with F9P.
But does this F9P GPS unit also include compass as well ? Can it be directly connected with Pixhawk ?
Thank you so much.

To the best of my knowledge there is no compass.
I am still looking for one with both.

The product name of this unit is “ZED-F9P RTK RECEIVER BOARD WITH MULTIBAND ANTENNA L1 L2 +LIS3MDL”, is LIS3MDL unit the embedded compass ?

Interesting
Damn I have been looking at the wrong GPS
Ok now that I am looking at the right GPS…Yes it has a compass. you can see the orientation
Also it’s listed in the description

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/lis3mdl.pdf

Thank you so much. The description also says it has the 12 pin connector, which is incompatible with the 6 pin GPS port of Pixhawk ? Is there any cable that I can use to connect this unit with Pixhawk?

Also based on the image, the 4pin port (I2C) does not include any VCC pin ?

No idea about the cable. For me I would just crimp one up but I know not everyone has the crimper to do it. The other thing I don’t know is if this is Arducopter compatible. I am not a GPS nerd so I know little about them.

Hi Tridge,

Is this GPS unit compatible with Pixhawk? How is the accuracy range if we just use standalone configuration without static base ? Thank you so much

Best regards,
Mirko