Command heading or auto heading?

I was wondering if it is possible to give a heading command via mission planner and have the rover go in a straight line at that constant heading. I do not want to do a waypoint mission.

You do have STEERING MODE available on your RC transmitter or through telemetry with Mission Planner and a joystick.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Hi David,

I use a joystick with telemetry. Where can I find “STEERING MODE”? I am still new to this.

Thanks!

I don’t think there is a “Drive straight on this bearing” functionality. There is a MAV_CMD_CONDITION_YAW but Rover doesn’t currently support this as unless you have a skid steering rover we can’t turn on the spot.
I believe David is saying if you point the rover in the direction you want and then enable STEERING_MODE and put the throttle up it should hold that course.
We could implement the functionality your asking for if there is a demand or need.

Thanks, Grant.

Thanks for the input Grant! I do not have skid steering. I will try to get the rover to face the proper heading then enable steering mode and see what happens. I will let you know how it goes.

I run a boat with 3.0.1. If I point the boat to a certain compass heading and switch to STEERING MODE it tracks that heading very well. It is very important however to have your RC transmitter or joystick calibrated properly. Other wise the vehicle will drift in one direction or the other if the neutral steering input is outside of the DZ. At least it seems that way.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

I’m a bit confused, so I point it in the direction I want it and then I go into steering mode and give it throttle?

Or do I set a COMMAND_YAW mission then do the mission in STEERING_MODE and it tracks?

If I want to do it from start to finish, what would be the steps? Sorry, I’m still learning a lot.

Use STEERING MODE and point the vehicle in the direction you want it to go and it will track that heading. I have found that the maximum throttle you can give it is defined by one of the parameters used for AUTO missions. In other words I don’t have the same throttle range in STEERING as I do in MANUAL. Just use STEERING MODE from start to finish and see what you think.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger