Circular flightpath during loiter/autotune for yaw

Today I was working through autotune on my Tarot X4.

After completing autotune for roll, I shut down and re-booted. Then flew again where I completed autotune for pitch. On that same BIN file (no reboot) I then started a flight for autotune for yaw.

After completing just a few twitches for yaw, the copter began flying in a circular path - and didn’t re-settle into a position to do more yaw twitches. After several circles, I elected to RTL and land without completing the autotune for yaw.

I use loiter when I autotune to keep the copter in position - and always autotune on calm days.

I’ll go back and try again tomorrow. But I thought I’d share this in case anyone is interested.

Just checking… Did you have Autoune set to tune Yaw D by any chance?
You can but it’s usually only needed for increased yaw authority and you would set this before starting it:
ATC_RAT_YAW_D,0.001

Vibrations are getting a touch too high in Z axis, but a non-autoune flight might give a better example before declaring that a disaster waiting to happen.

Otherwise Yaw Auto tune is just doing lots and lots of small yaw steps in one direction, which is a bit odd and I cant fully explain it. Maybe it was stuck trying to adjust a value that wasnt responding as expected.

I would set these to give it a head start and maybe get past that circular stage:

ATC_RAT_YAW_I,0.05
ATC_RAT_YAW_P,0.5

I don’t understand what you mean by did I have autotune set to tune “Yaw D”.

It was set to autotune yaw - I’m unfamiliar with a “Yaw D” option.

When I go back today I think I’ll just try tuning yaw from Altitude-Hold instead of Loiter. That might provide a better clue about this.

You’re absolutely right about the Z axis vibrations. They seem to be getting worse. I’ll spend some time in the workshop to see if I can figure out what’s flopping around. BTW - I did the auto-tune flights with the gear down - as the vibes seemed to be worse with the gear up. Of course I’ll have to change this. But as I don’t really need to retract the gear, I thought I’d set up for the best chance of success for now.

Thanks!

I’m out at my flying field, about to do the autotune for yaw again.

I’ve discovered the “YawD” setting in Mission Planner:

There’s no mention of this option in the parameter list:

Doing a search for it - it appears to exist only in the DEV version - not in the latest stable version. There’s no explanation about what it does.

I also found the thread where you cautioned someone not to use it.

Can you please shed some light on this new option?

The Yaw D Autotune (or manual tuning) can help where copters need a bit more yaw authority. For example a small copter with a relatively heavy camera, you want to be able to point the camera effectively, and have it stay pointed.
This feature does work well, but there is a bug where starting it with the default of ATC_RAT_YAW_D,0 can cause an issue. If you set ATC_RAT_YAW_D,0.001 it works OK. It will be fixed I’m sure but I’ll have to look up when.

Generally you wont need to run the Yaw D Autotune.
Ordinary Yaw Autotune is fine.

Just set these to begin with

ATC_RAT_YAW_I,0.05
ATC_RAT_YAW_P,0.5

for your copter since it had that weird circle issue.

I repeated the autotune for yaw today - no more weird circles.

And your parameter estimates were pretty close - I ended up with:
ATC_RAT_YAW_I=0.6080199
ATC_RAT_YAW_P=4.910493

ATC_RAT_YAW_FLTE also changed from 2 to 1.

No more weird circles today - but I did have an odd GPS occurrence - covered on a different thread.