Changes to Software Dshot

Anything change setting up the software running Dhot? I’m testing a 6 and 1 esc and normal this will automatically set the in points and calibration even arming spin of the motors.

You skipped a step. Go back and do it from the beginning.

Nothing changed in the software

This is determined by MOT_SPIN_ARM

Ok but I did do it a few times. I had to manually set the arming spin up.

Sure but for years i was never necessary.

Then the ESC firmware has other thresholds, and requires manual tuning on the AP side.

I just telling you that there is no automatic setting of this as your post seemed to suggest.

Sorry not true. I asking as i testing new hardware.

What’s not true? That the MOT_SPIN_ARM parameter doesn’t set the spin of the motor at arming?

Honestly I not ever set the spin until yesterday in 5 years, lol

Well that’s fine but it doesn’t suggest anything in this regard is “automatic” or the arm spin of the motor is a function of a BLHeli_32/Dshot setting. In any case you would be following the usual configuration steps for this found here

Setting Motor Ranges
Of course this is linked in the Tuning Guide Blog post which I assume you are following.

This is a Beta 6 and 1 by Troy Naquin I helping test.
If nothing has changed then I have to guess it’s the esc,

Dave, I build a new quad almost once a month. Each quad flys perfectly.

Yes, and your builds are very impressive. I only commented on your 1st post because if someone see’s that from a Developer and believes that MOT_SPIN_ARM is somehow set automatically simply because Dshot protocol is used perhaps they will then ignore an important parameter.

Here is how it’s stated in the Tuning Blog cited on an hourly basis in the forum:

Make sure the MOT_SPIN_ARM is high enough so that all motors spin reliably.
Make sure the MOT_SPIN_MIN is at least 0.03 higher than MOT_SPIN_ARM.

!!! If you get this test wrong or skip it, you might destroy your vehicle and endanger yourself !!!

2 Likes

Then the default value of 10% must be adequate for your builds to date. But it is not automatically computed anyplace. It’s just a default value.

1 Like

The only thing I can think of in the rush to test I did not install the TX16.

Thanks guys this makes sense.

I did get a odd pre arm error message in yellow after I changed the arm spin up value, Its working now tho.

So you skipped steps. And important ones.

There is one interesting observation to be made here I think. Brandon’s craft have flown pretty well on default parameters probably because the frame design is very good with high rigidity. Not many are building monocoque frames but they certainly have some advantages.

4 Likes