Ch6 config sets configured setting to 0 when Tx powered off

I was using Ch6 configured to adjust “Stab Roll/Pitch kP” tonight on the field with min set at 3.0 and max at 7.0 (configured on the RS pot on my Taranis so half way was setting the P at 5 ish). When I got home, I powered up the Pixhawk (without the Tx powered - I have FS disabled) and instantly got a warning in the HUD: “PreArm:ACRO_BALL_ROLL/PITCH”. I determined this was being triggered because the Stabilize Roll/Pitch values were set at zero! It appears that if Ch6 is configured, but there isn’t a PWM value (on Ch6), it sets the value of the parameter configured by the Ch6 option to zero, and ignores the min/max values. Would it not be better if Arducopter simply were to leave the P value alone if it can’t detect a value/signal on RC ch6 rather than it dropping the P value to zero this way? Also should it be ignoring the set limits like this, or is this a bug?
Using arducopter 3.2.1 on HK pixhawk copy.

this is normal. Is it an issue though? you can’t really fly without a transmitter anyway. And if you have managed to fly transmitter less you probably aren’t going to use ch6 tuning.

not sure how this works if a custom failsafe is set to set ch6 higher than min, I think I see zero on a chan 6 tuned value on mine, and I use a custom fail safe…i can’t remember what my ch 6 was set to though…might check next time I’m plugged in.

It’s annoying, as if you power just on USB, you get the pre-arm error I mentioned. Surely a better design would be to not amend the ch6 value at all if no tx is being received. Then if it is being received, to honor the min/max values. This would make more sense surely?

I’m not sure that message is linked. Just plugged mine in (although microbrain running an early 3.3), I have my ch6 to sthe same param, and don’t get that prearm error.

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/flying … ety_check/

“ACRO_BAL_ROLL/PITCH : the ACRO_BAL_ROLL parameter is higher than the Stabilize Roll P and/or ACRO_BAL_PITCH parameter is higher than the Stabilize Pitch P value. This could lead to the pilot being unable to control the lean angle in ACRO mode because the Acro Trainer stabilization would overpower the pilot’s input.”

Exactly! That is the condition causing the error in the HUD. The underlying issue being the stabilise P value being at zero, so lower than those other values.

are you using acro trainer? I don’t. Maybe that’s why I don’t see that error. If you aren’t using acro maybe try switch acro trainer off.

No, not going anywhere near acro mode, and no acro trainer enabled. As we established, the error is correctly being displayed, as the Stabilize P value causes the condition for this. Just wondering why better logic is not applied to the the values provided by the Ch6 configuration. I think more thought needs to be given in this area.

Only trying to help mate…given that mine doesn’t show that error in the same scenario.

I appreciate your feedback Stu.
I figured that if you switch off the Tx, then the value assigned to the Ch6 assignment (in my case StabP) remains set as the Tx had set it. But I’d you then power down the craft and power back up without the Tx on, the value is set to zero.