Can't run motor test + quad tipping/flipping on takeoff

My quad (TBS Discovery + Opto 30A ESC + Turnigy 9x radio) keeps tipping/flipping backwards when I try to take off, and I’m trying to diagnose with the motor test. However, I can’t seem to find the motor test. I’m following the instructions at s3.amazonaws.com/3dr.production/ … 1393192921.

Anyway, when I get into Mission Planner and enter terminal, when I type setup, then type motors, it says invalid command. What am I doing wrong?

Also, by just running low throttle I can already visually tell that the props are spinning in the correct directions (alternating CCW and CW) and that the right props are on the right motors (the CW spinning motor has the “R” designation on the prop). If that’s fine and the quad is balanced, and the radio calibration checks out OK, why does it keep tipping?

@chanman,
The reference to the slide switch was for the older APM1.0/1.4 and does not exist on the APM2.5/2.6. You can enter the CLI function by using the Terminal Tab on the MP.
Regards,
TCIII GM

Ok, but the “motors” command still isn’t available. When I enter CLI mode, I type “setup”, and then “motors” (I also tried “motor”) and it says “invalid command.” “motors” doesn’t show up when I type “help” either. Is there something special I have to do to activate the feature?

You need to go to tests first then run the motors command from there. It you type tests you’ll get a list of available options.

Russ

I ran the motor test but only one motor runs (the front right one).

How do I solve this problem?

[quote=“chanman”]I ran the motor test but only one motor runs (the front right one).

How do I solve this problem?[/quote]

I should add that the motors appear to function in flight (hand test, tried pitch/roll/yaw, the proper motors activate). But they don’t work in the motor test.

Have you tried calibrate the esc.
I had the same problem. With my tbs apm2.5 it looked like the front motors turned faster than the back ones. I ran the wizzard and calibrated the esc. And it was gone[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

DJI PHANTOM FC40, HUBSAN X4 V2, CARSON RAPTOR 1:8 NITRO

I want to, but I don’t think DJI OPTO ESC’s can be calibrated, or are supposed to be calibrated.

True

DJI PHANTOM FC40, HUBSAN X4 V2, CARSON RAPTOR 1:8 NITRO