Can't play ArduPlane SITL with Xplane 11

My joystick is FUTABA T10J TX. I connect it to my PC by FUTABA WSC-1.
I could play Xplane11 SITL with ArduPlane 4.2 with same configulation.
MissionPlannerのSITL機能でX-PLANE 11を動かした。 (youtube.com)

When ArduPlane updated to 4.4 it suddenly became not to work. Do you know why?

If I upload my procedure by video, can you give me some suggestion?

Plane-4.2 and Plane-4.4 have different methods of obtaining RCIN from X-Plane.

Check the “Show in Cockpit” checkbox for the following three items in the Data Output settings.

8 Joystick aileron/elevator/rudder
25 Throttle (commanded)
136 Joystick raw axis deflections

The following image will be displayed on the cockpit screen. Please let me know if each value changes when you move each axis of the joystick.

In Plane-4.2, index 8 and 25 were obtained as RCIN.
In Plane-4.4, index 136 is obtained as RCIN.

The latter method is superior to the former because it allows a wider range of aircraft to be controlled.

In my case, depending on the type of joystick the value of Index 136 is fixed to zero even though the value of Index 8 or 25 varies and the RCIN cannot be obtained. This seems to be a problem on the X-Plane side, not on the ArduPilot side.

In my case, Index 8 and 25 varies but Index 136 does not. It fixed to -0,010.
So, considering with your informationit, it must be X-Plane side problem.
But it is very curious that some joystick works and others not. Do you know why?

I don’t know about that either. You might want to give up manual flight of X-Plane via ArduPilot.

What is your objective for performing SITL with X-Plane? If you only want to fly manually, you can do it with X-Plane only.

If you want to use SITL for fully automated missions, from automatic takeoff to automatic landing, you no longer need a joystick.

You are correct! Thank you hatnac. I was out of right way.
My objective is to fly automated aerobatics. It surely be conducted in anto mode only.
I will try soon.
And I will contact with X-Plane producers and report this issue.

Thank you again for your kind support.

I found that the joystick can be used via Mission Planner. Please try it.

I am having just the same problem although I am getting closer now with @hatnac notes, might I have a look at all of your data out ticks @hatnac ? I have an Interlink plus so should be good.

I contacted with X-Plane support. They say I must consult with ArduPilot side on this issue but as I can not understand why, I am contacting again with them.

Hi @RCnorm,

This issue has nothing to do with ArduPilot. I think all you have to do is tell X-Plane support that “Joystick raw axis deflections” are not output depending on the type of Joystick.

Yes I told them just so.

Hi, @Gary_Mortimer

Data output via UDP ticks is shown below.

Plane-4.4 requests X-Plane to send these data, and we cannot check anything else in X-Plane when running SITL.

Index Data to Output
1 Times
3 Speeds
4 Mach, VVI, g-load
13 Trim, flap, stats, & speedbrakes
16 Angular velocities
17 Pitch, roll, & headings
20 Latitude, longitude, & altitude
21 Location, velocity, & distance traveled
37 Engine RPM
38 Propeller RPM
39 Propeller pitch
136 Joystick raw axis deflections

I mean you don’t have to talk to X-Plane support about ArduPilot. If you tell them that there is a communication problem between ArduPilot and X-Plane, X-Plane support will respond that the problem would be on the ArduPilot side.

Thanks @hatnac I will give it a try

X-Plane support will respond that the problem would be on the ArduPilot side

hatnac-san,
That was exactly what Xplane support responded.

Hi again, after following the suggestions here, I managed to fly fixed-wing aircrafts successfully. However, when I try to configure a VTOL aircraft (after I enable Q_ENABLE) the aircraft would take-off to the desired altitude successfully (in quadcopter mode) and transition to fixed-wing mode, fly following the set flight path, but after that it would could not track the desired altitude and keeps climbing until the end of the mission. I have also realized that the target pitch is always positive despite the target altitude. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Have you tuned your model?

Yes, I have tuned my model before enabling quadcopter mode (Q_enable). After successful tests using only fixed-wing mode, I enabled quadcopted mode (to enable VTOL) and tuned my q_ parameters and got satisfactory vertical take-off and landing performance (using the VTOL rotors). This issue arises after transition. Does tuning differ when Q_enable is 1?

update: I think it is probably another radio calibration issue, the same configurations as the built-in “quadplane” simulator of the mission planner was used, the aircraft would still lock-up on some positive pitch angle and keeping climbing throughout the flight… Unfortunately, I still couldnt figure a workaround for this problem. Nonetheless, I think the issues involving X-Plane SITL with ardupilot through mission planner should get the developer’s attention.

I tried the joystick function of Mission Planner but it didn’t work. Teach me why. The procedure I tried was,

1. Click “joystick” button of Mission Planner’s Data pannel.
  2. The joystick setting page popups.
  3. With TX’s switch ON, select the “Enable” button.
  4. RC1 thru RC4 are automatically connected and they move in accordance with TX’s joysticks movements.
  5. RC1 is assigned X, RC2 is Y, RC3 is Z and RC4 is Rx automatically.
  6. Save this condition.
  7. Change flight mode from RTL to Mannual.
  8. Check control surfaces movements by moving joystick, but no surface moved.

This is the setting situation.

Try following steps.

• Start X-Plane

• Launch Mission Planner

• Launch ArduPlane.exe from the command prompt.

• Enable the Joystick in Mission Planner.

• Click the “CONNECT” button in Mission Planner and enter 127.0.0.1 as IP address, 5760 as remote port.