I have been failing to make any perceptible progress with Autotune on Plane for a few weeks now. My field days are few and far between, so I am trying to do my homework before my next one.
I’m running Arduplane 3.3.0 on a clone pixhawk. The plane is a Pinata wing from Crash Test Hobbies. It’s fairly heavy for small wing, but also quick. It stalls badly when I have too little speed on a turn (I’m an intermediate pilot at best), but otherwise flies decently in manual mode and has been trimmed appropriately. I’ve flown many batteries in manual and I’d like to move on to the automated modes.
A typical attempt to use Autotune goes like this: I get the plane aloft, get it set to run down one side of the oval I’m flying, then I put it in Autotune. I do full deflections on the sticks a few times, but within a few seconds (often less than the 10 required for an Autotune save), I’m at the point where I need to turn. I start my turn, but the plane is limited in its bank angle so severely that I typically have to keep the stick pinned to one side just to do a large gentle turn; I can’t do any more full stick deflections. Most of the time I abort and resume manual mode so I can turn at a decent enough angle to keep the plane at a comfortable range and/or avoid obstacles. If I’m lucky I can get one 12-15 second run with one autotune save; often I don’t even get that far.
Pitching is similarly limited, but doesn’t present the same problems turning does.
What is limiting my roll angle so severely? What do I need to change to improve my ability to turn in Autotune? I was figuring on lowering NAVL1_PERIOD from the default, but if there is something else I should do in addition/instead, please tell me.
When I look at the logs from my autotune sessions, I don’t see any evidence of tuning progression. ATRP.P is zero throughout Autotune, which I find pretty confusing. I am unclear what is going on, exactly.
Here’s the log on Droneshare:
I have been assuming that I will get more control/deflection as I progress through autotune, and that I just had to get through a few 10 second intervals and things would loosen up and I would get more control/deflection. I gather this isn’t the case, but I’m not sure what I should be expecting either.
Thanks for any and all help!
[Also, a coaxing note about the forum attachment size limits - I think they are a bit restrictive. I could not upload my log from a short flight, or even a screenshot from that log. I had to resize the screenshot, making it far less legible, and upload the log to Droneshare. I imagine the limits were set several years ago.]